Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Plein Air Magazine, Paint the National Parks

As seen in PleinAir Magazine! That puts a smile on my face to say.


 My painting "The Bluffs" was selected for the National Park Portfolio article in the January 2017 publication of PleinAir. I'm currently in a bookstore near you!


 The location of my plein air work was the Gulf Islands National Seashore, on the Pensacola Bay side in Gulf Breeze, Florida. The shore is a favorite subject of mine. I live in view of the sandy barrier islands that form this park. When I saw this submission call I already had archives of paintings to choose from.


[The Lure of the Islands in the Gulf of Mexico - "What is it that entices people to the sea?  Poet John Masefield wrote, “I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied.”  Millions of visitors are drawn to the islands in the northern Gulf of Mexico for the white sandy beaches, the aquamarine waters, a boat ride, a camping spot, a tour of an old fort, or a place to fish.] 

To this excerpt from the National Parks website, we'll add: a place to paint!


One note of correction to the PleinAir article - "The Bluffs" sold years ago through Merrill Millers Interiors thus is no longer in the artist's collection.

  

The story of this plein air adventure was originally published here on my Plein Air Painting Journal post from 2010.

 

Info from the National Parks Service about Gulf Islands National Seashore, link here.


No comments: