Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Emerging Artist Award, Art Galleries and Artists of the South


It was exciting to see my work published in Art Galleries and Artists of the South. As a winner of their "Emerging Artist" contest, I received my own page in this nationally distributed magazine (vol 10, issue 1). The task of  assessing my work to select five personal "best-of-shows" was not easy but helped me realize what I like about my work. I strive for compositions that pull you in. I like surface texture that vibrates with life. I'm not a grey-day person. I like sun-drenched landscapes.

If you've followed my work here on the blog, you may recognize the paintings and remember the plein-air outings that inspired them. The "Lady in the Red Hat" sold to the lady in the red hat, and was never exhibited publicly. The floral on top- "Waterside Crepe Myrtle" sold from a gallery. The middle three all made it into juried shows and are Blue-Ribbon winners. The only one I still have is "Beach House".   It is available for sale. To learn more about that one, click back to Beach House post.


In case you're not wearing your super-glasses... The text reads: "As a landscape painter, the interaction of land, sky, and sea provides inspiration and challenges me to capture in paint an impression of having been there. To transform a blank canvas into a relatable experience is a fascinating occupation. I create invitations to pause and enjoy the view.
I enjoy painting various landscapes and meeting like-minded artists by participating in group events including Week End with the Masters, Carmel, CA; The Adirondack Mountain School Painters, NY; and The Southeastern Plein Air Invitational, AL. Within each landscape are discoveries. The Gulf Coast outside my studio window never ceases to revive my art-spirit." To view more works by Jill, visit www.JillBerryArtist.com.

2 comments:

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Congratulations Jill, your work looks great!

Jill Berry said...

Thanks, Kim. Nice to hear from you.