Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Beauty of Adventure


With the keys to my little Mac still warm from an article assignment, it occured to me: wouldn't this be a great time for a blog post!


The Beauty of Adventure  
by  Jill Berry

Seeing beauty, internalizing it, then presenting your version back to the world: this is the “job” of the visual artist. I feel extremely blessed to invest my days creating art. A glance out the window to observe the color of the waterway, and my spirit is revived. So you can imagine the visual feast I experienced during a recent trip to the Italian Riviera!

On previous trips to paint the Pacific coast (Carmel, CA), and the Adirondack Mountains & waterfalls (Lake Placid, NY), I realized the effort it takes just to get there, to travel with easel, paints & canvases. Inspired by the Impressionists of the past, and the current Plein Air movement, I continue to challenge myself to go outdoors and paint from nature. 

The Gulf Coast is an intriguing locale, I am fortunate to live here and join in weekly outings with the Plein Air Painters of Pensacola. We exhibit together annually. In 2008 I began writing a blog, “Plein Air Painting Journal” which chronicles my painting excursions. 

One great thing about being a fine artist is choosing what you study. You are your own creative director. Last year my focus was “The Ways of Water”, a solo show exhibited in Fairhope, AL at the Eastern Shore Art Center. 

Then it was time to pack for Italy! The adventure of seeing a new place is so stimulating, especially as an artist. Painting from cliffs of the Cinque Terre along cobblestone walkways above a sea of vivid aqua. Enjoying a week with a small group of artists discovering these seaside villages, then hopping on the train alone to see Venice! With my painting supplies safely stowed in Florence, just my camera and I had a glorious workout for our few remaining days in Italy. Collecting memories, memories that form chapters of a lifetime. Images, impressions that I am now excited to turn into paintings.

What’s on the horizon? The Greek Island of Santorini! Through Toscana Americana, I have a workshop scheduled October 4-11. If only with camera, I invite you to come along, explore, enjoy... Santotini, ranked world’s top island by Travel & Leisure magazine. With the logistics taken care of by Toscana Americana, there are no concerns for finding the best restaurants and picturesque views. Within the security of a small group, you are free to savor the experience. I’m excited about the day cruise to visit hot springs on a nearby island, and painting the full moon that night!   

Times of camaraderie boost your art-spirit. Each time I’ve packed my palette and ventured out of the studio to explore a new landscape, I was glad I did. Each artist I’ve had the pleasure of painting alongside at a paint-out, invitational, or workshop, I’ve learned from. I’ll be painting with oils, building texture with both palette knife and brush. Anyone wishing to increase their artistic vision is welcome.
Trip itinerary and information:


Jill’s website: www.jillberryartist.com

2 comments:

Arianna Marangonzin said...

Our beautiful Italian places!
Ciao.

Obat Sesak Nafas said...

awesome adventure, I was fascinated to see all the photos Ace Maxs Asli Original | Obat Benjolan Di Ketiak