Saturday, July 7, 2012

Paint the Adirondacks (Plein Air Magazine Invitational)

The Rush of High Falls, 12x16, Oil.
I'm still processing this most awesome trip to the Adirondacks. Hazy yet vibrant blues of layered mountains, and the drama of these rushing falls were new and challenging scenes for me to paint. Not only was the camaraderie felt of the 50 fellow painters at the event, but also of the great painters of the past- the Hudson River Painters who enjoyed these same scenes. As a High Falls Gorge postcard says: "Suddenly, you are worlds away". I, and the group, thank Eric Rhoads for hosting this Invitational.


My new Raymar panel carrier was a great help while climbing down this gorge, along the river and back up with my wet paintings.
This great view is at the top, if you're not up for a hike. I was about to set up here, then traveled on. After  a strenuous time of climbing down and along the river, I was thinking I must have gone the wrong way and was lost in the woods. As I headed toward a swimming couple to ask directions, I began to hear the falls, and spotted painters at work. My hike was worth it after all.

5 comments:

Shane Davis said...

The earth tones in this painting are fantastic, and I can really feel the bright sky above the water.

Marie Theron said...

Painting away and keeping fot at the same time! How nice, and the completed scene is really lovely!

hmuxo said...

How beautiful this place looks...I would love to hike here! Gorgeous piece! Congratulations!

Jill Berry said...

Thanks you all.
Shane, interesting comment, I had just added a greenish umber to my palette. Felt a little crazy using new colors in this new environment.

Marie, yep, sometimes if only for the sheer effort put forth,,, it's all good.

Thanks, I really enjoyed the new terrain.

Theresa Grillo Laird said...

You were painting in a really pretty area. I made many camping trips in upstate New York growing up. It's amazing how different the colors and the terrain are from the Fl Gulf Coast.It looks like you had a great time!