Monday, April 30, 2012

SE Plein Air Fest, the Afternoon Deluge.

 Just Before the Rain, 12x16, Oil on Gallery Wrap Canvas.
 The Gadsden Museum of Art has a great little army of volunteers. They will bring lunch to your easel if you don't want to stop painting. After my lunch break with the group in the valley (pictured below) I set my sites on finding this small waterfall and old swimming hole.

The only thing I know about this snake is that he was interested in plein air painters and that he seemed to be camera shy. Then the turtle -- he was actually kissing another turtle, but I had too many brushes in my hand to get that pic.
Half way into this second painting of day 2 at the SE Plein Air Fest, we sighed a relief when the sun gave us a respite,,, then ah-oh!!! ~ The rain began ' """:":";;;;;;.

I dragged my palette, my painting, and myself, drenched, to the top of the hill.

Since our works are to be turned in complete at the end of the day, I found a bit of shelter under an overhang of a small building, and with my scene still in view, finished her up. 
Did I mention, it was hard to find a composition within the multiplicity of greens? As evidenced, when our day's work went on display. 
As lovely as this day was along the nature trails of Camp Sumatanga, I was so ready to get back to my graciously provided hotel suite and out of those wet clothes.

3 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

It seems there is never a dull moment while plein air painting! Your painting is beautiful despite the multiplicity of greens with all the harmonious you incorporated. And isn't it wonderful that oil and water don't mix.

hmuxo said...

your plein air paintings are always so beautiful. Wonderful colors..love those greens...

Jill Berry said...

Hello! Good to hear from you both again.
Yes, Janelle, that's true, & all part of the adventure. You never know what you'll encounter or paint till the time is documented on canvas.

Thanks for commenting !