Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sherrie McGraw, "the Visual Idea"

If you're like me, you like seeing new places, meeting new people, and learning from their perspective. This most amazing still life that my eyes have ever witnessed, seemed almost a casual by-product of the  artistic soul of Sherrie McGraw, as she shared with us her motivations, thoughts, experience. Once a student of David Leffel, now an excellent teacher herself, she poses the question of "visual idea". "What are you going for?" Then how simply she states the quest: "We're  always, always looking for stuff that makes the painting better".
I have combined my still pics and video clips from her class at "Week End with the Masters" in Monterey. As I entered the room and saw her setting up this still life with meticulous forethought, I knew I was in for a treat. Enjoy ~~~

I suggest you click over to YouTube for the Big Screen view.

6 comments:

suzannepaints said...

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing your notes

Pam Holnback said...

I love her work. Thanks for sharing!

Arianna said...

Si, siamo sempre alla ricerca di belle cose che rendano migliore non solo la pittura ma anche le nostre quotidianità.
Baci.
Yes, we are always looking for beautiful things that make it best not only painting but also our daily lives.
Kisses.

Jane said...

Lucky you to be there!! Thanks for showing this, always wonderful to see painters at work and learn new 'tricks'.

Nora MacPhail said...

Wow! Your paintings are really beautiful. Gorgeous.
Happy Painting,
Nora

Jill Berry said...

I was thrilled to get to go, it's a delight to have riches to share. Thank you all for blogging-along-with-me. I love to hear your insights and responses.