Friday, December 2, 2011

The Point

 The Point, SOLD, 14x18, Oil.  
My point of interest? - The little passageway where the palms are clustered near the shore and the water transitions into sky. Within the components of composition, the beauty is in the relationship. Placement of focus and horizon are paramount choices a landscape painter must make to sets up the "visual story", place emphasis.
This painting might be seen as ruff around the edges, or unfinished. There is a certain ruffled surface tension that I didn't want to destroy, so my only "homework" was to sign and frame it.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Gorgeous painting Jill, rich , colorful and full of life. Love how you show yourself intent in painting the scene.
Wish you a great weekend.

Jill Berry said...

Thanks for the great comment. Your observation reinforces my desire to retain the life, even at the cost of a "completed", tailored look.

Nora MacPhail said...

Gorgeous! I have the plein air paint box by easYl, which looks very much like what you've got there. I love it, but I've only taken it outside once! You've certainly found 'the zone' with plein air painting.

John Philip said...

Like this one. You managed to simplify the complex scene so well.