Friday, September 2, 2011

Navy Point

"One Strong Tree", 12x16, Oil.


I think I'll call this "One Strong Tree", knowing how much of this neighborhood was taken out by Hurricane Ivan. Though, in fact, it is sort of a uniting of two trees about a half-a-mile apart. We often return to paint at the same location. This canvas is a merging of both March and July paint-days along the Navy Point Park and Bayou Grande.
 In the first episode I was thrilled to spot the dolphins, signaling the oil spill tragedy was passing. But, as for my painting, don't ask me what I was thinking at the time. I broke the first rule I taught years ago. I got carried away with the tree form before laying in the sky.
 Then when I returned with the same canvas, in a new season, it was a different tree that shouted out to me. And even so, somehow the painting caught up with the feeling of the tree down the road. I'm satisfied that it portrays a place rather than a single day.

5 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Lovely, Jill....thanks for that dolphin video, how awesome is that!

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Such a pretty spot and you captured it beautifully!

Sadeu said...

very good paintings : )

Gwen Bell said...

Gorgeous! I love the way you paint sand. So warm and inviting!

Jill Berry said...

So GOOD to hear from you all. Thanks for visiting and dropping a line.

Carol, about the dolphins, yeah! they're cool to spot.

Kim, I appreciate that!

Sadeu, It always nice to hear from someone new, Thanks!

Gwen, You know we're always "inviting" in the "SouthLand"! Take a vacation sometime...