Thursday, August 25, 2011

Where the House Use to Be

"Where the House Use to Be", 11x14, Oil. 


Admittedly the purple wisteria was an afterthought. The painting wasn't working for me so I planted it after I got home. I took down a tree as well, in order to bring the focus back to the foreground.
It was the flood of light across this empty lot that invited my attention. Especially these two pillars of stone that stand as the lone survivors of someone's hurricane devastation.
The rest of this journal entry doesn't relate to the unknown owners of this vacated lot, but my mom. A few weeks ago she came to visit. Just after returning home, her house burnt down. Neighbors saw the flames and alerted them to get out. ---- Now here they are, this late in life, deciding to break up the old foundation and start anew. Lots of fortitude in that couple (he's 87!) I hope the building crews don't wreck her yard. Among other artistic endeavors, she can grow a beautiful garden. She is in North Carolina, where I pray all my friends along the coast stay safe from this week-end's storm threat.

6 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

This is so lovely, Jill. I hope eveeryone is safe, too.

Judy Russell-Vaughn said...

Love the Addition of the Wisteria ~ Great Add On! :)

Nancy Medina said...

Jill this is beautiful - I am so glad your mom is safe!

Kathy Cousart said...

This one is just heartfelt and that is all there is to it. I think it is so sweet that you tried to make it so your Mom would be happy with it. I am so sorry for the loss of their home but glad they are okay. Everyone stay safe!!

Marie Theron said...

A splendid painting, I love the thick vegetation and the water showing through! The story behind this painting is riveting! Sorry about your mom's loss and I hope everything will be back to normal soon!

Jill Berry said...

Thanks blog-friends for your concern. I trust you all kept safe.

And Ms Vaughn!! So glad to hear from you, daughter-in-law of my first painting teacher! It was great to run into you and Charlotte, my first school art teacher, while in Kentucky... what a trip! Thanks for commenting!!

I'm realizing through my journal that we are well into Hurricane season!
Last week end the hurricane sat over Mom's temporary house in N Carolina, all day. It took down 16 trees! But once again, she's fine!
After keeping an eye on the storm last week end, today's tropical storm surprised me! It's been crazy windy and rainy!!!