Thursday, August 18, 2011

Shore Break

Shore Break, SOLD, 11x14, Oil.  Looking back, I'm glad I took easel to the beach before he retired. We've seen some places together, but haven't had our toes in the sand of this National Seashore nearly enough to suit me. After my plein-air  friends called it a "rain-out" at the park, we were headed along Gulf Beach Highway when the deluge ended. Why go home?  All packed up with no place to paint, (then Easel said: Let's go to the beach, just you and me.)




A fully loaded palette- because you never know what kind of day you'll be depicting.




Behind me I could see it was still raining in town, but the western skies across the Gulf were blue. Which adds a twist of complication to the color study teachings in "Hensche on Painting". To first determine the light key of nature- observe: Is it a gray day or sunny day? Each painting is a new set of visual perception problems, and my envelope of atmosphere is not always clearly discernible. I like this quote: "A painter is a teacher who helps others see the beauty of the world".

7 comments:

Madsci said...

Jill,

Really love your Shore Break. I remember doing the exactly same thing after rainouts. Enjoy every minute you are permitted to jive on th GulfCoast. I did paint at the beach 500 days in 12 years - I miss it so which.

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Very enjoyable post Jill. Love the painting as well as the beach photos and sounds.

Carol Blackburn said...

Lovely one, Jill. I've yet to take my easel out into the world. It prefers to stay in the solitude of the studio. Who's shy, me or the easel? I did paint outside at the art fair so I guess that counts for me painting in public.

Janelle Goodwin said...

So glad your easel suggested going to the beach. Such wonderful atmosphere in the sky and water. The wave is a real beauty and makes me yearn to be there and experience it!

Kathy Cousart said...

Love Shore Break. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of you and Easel:) I am heading to SSI soon and hope to take my easel right onto the beach and paint with my toes in the sand again too:)

Jill Berry said...

Thank you all for chiming in with your so-kind thoughts.
Madsci- that's alota paintin!! Now, you have given away your true identity. And our lead-painting-guy (think old professor) confirmed to me Friday, "That's him!". I do very much enjoy the group and the area.

Happy to know that you enjoyed, Joan. It's been fun to see you blossom in the Great Outdoors.

Yeah Carol, the hurdle is past so just convince that easel to get out there. If you can do it.... Just pack him up, It's a whole big FUN world out>T H E R E>!

Janelle- So good to hear from you, Queen of Atmospheric Painting! Your yearning makes me realize the blessing of my world even~more!

Kathy- That is an enchanted place. Know you and your easel will have a splendid stay. Don't work him too hard!

BrandNewStudio said...

Fascinating work.
It has been delightful
to visit your gallery.
Good Creations