Wednesday, May 4, 2011

On the Golf Course, Painting the Greens

"Morning Greens" (11x14) 
This was my first of ten paintings turned in last week during the Plein Air Invitational. We started our work week at the Gadsden Country Club, Easel and me in a golf cart, that was a first. We were attracted to this spot by the tennis courts; it had a lead-in path, a great sloping lay-of-land, nice range of distance, water with reflections! It had it all. I was just hoping I wasn't going to say too much.
I went to work... in my peaceful trance. Eventually the songs of birds gave way to the gentle thud of tennis balls. The players assembled and the discussion ensued. It was the day after; the day after Easter Sunday. The hot topic was: "What did you think about the dancing in church?" A couple of times I tossed back a ball for them, kept working, still trying not to say too much. 
Between cruising around on my Harley, I lunched in the excellent company of wonderful artists and  blog-friends Robin Roberts and Becky Joy. It was fun to get to know the personalities of painters that previously I only knew by their works. I was honored to be invited to share the week with such talent as the young Russian painter, Dmitry Proshkin. He goes against the norm, and works on very large canvases en plein-air.


6 comments:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Hi Jill, Loved seeing the pink theme. Your hat and shirt and then the painting. An accident or planned ... very eye appealing. You do such a wonderful job of finding color in your landscapes. Very inspiring.

How to paint landscapes said...

"Morning Greens" is beautiful painting! Great job on the the lands and the trees!...Daniel

Marie Theron said...

Splendid work, Jill and what a nice safe spot you had to work in. I love the placement of figures in this painting!

MARIA VILLIOTI said...

Beautiful work Jill.Nice to meet you.

Teresa said...

If you can make a golf course scene exciting (and you did) then my hat's off to you! :-)

Jill Berry said...

hey ya'll,
Thanks again for following my painting journal, and for faithfully commenting when I am so behind on reading blogs. You all are gracious.
Funny ya'll should bring up the hat...
The day I packed for this trip, I had washed my "lucky-paint-hat" and was in subsequent distress over it's worn out looking brim. This pink hat is new. But it does ok too, I guess.
Regarding the pink mood of the painting, I didn't notice till later. My sister said- I like bluer skies. That's when I re-realized sometimes the value extremes as well as color temperature extremes are what we use to "state our case", "make a picture".