Monday, May 2, 2011

Alabama on Wednesday a.m.

Cafe on Broad, 12x12, Oil. 
Wednesday in Alabama, I raced the wind, fighting against sprinkles to finish this Cafe sidewalk scene in Gadsden, as passers engaged in the countdown to the storm on the horizon.
The white building across the street is the Gadsden Museum of Art. After lunch there with the group of other painters invited to the Southeastern Plein Air Festival, I sought shelter (and siesta) at my graciously provided hotel. During story-time the next day, I heard tales of those who got to know each other in the vault at the museum during the tornado warnings. I did not notice it at the time, but like the sign in the window (below) says: "Life is Full of Unexpected Events". 
My heart goes out to all those whose "Sweet Home Alabama" will never be the same.

3 comments:

oil painting classes said...

Your Alabama painting looks great! I like it! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

Jill Berry said...

Thanks Daniel, I'm honored by comments from you. Your paintings are so masterfully done!

LBC said...

Hi, Jill, I meant to drop by and post these links earlier, but post-storm coverage kept us busy in the newsroom.

Plein Air Day 3 photo gallery: http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Dato=20110427&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=427009997&Ref=PH&pl=1

Article: http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20110427/NEWS/110429766