Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fortified





"Fortified" 11x14, Oil, (Sold).  Of all the intrigue at Fort Pickens, I marched to the top of the hill and captured the simplest of scenes. Of all the parks around Pensacola, it is the kingpin. The history of these brick arches spans from pre-Civil War times, and includes tales of the Union and Confederate armies battling between island and mainland. It's walls served as a prison for the famed Indian medicine-man and warrior: Geronimo!
When Hurricane Ivan took out the road to Fort Pickens, our painting group went out by boat. The week they reopened the park, May '09, is when I laid the foundation for this painting. It's the rare instance where I took the same canvas out to work on it again. Although the season and time of day were different, the impression I set out to capture remained the same.
A surprise showed up in this boat pic. "Hey, that's Jane and the new guy down there." As I exited the park, I had stopped to admire their watercolor work. 


12 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Beautiful photos, Jill and I love when you show your location and I see how you adapted your painting to enhance the view. Magnificent!

Karen said...

Cool to pick what moves you, no matter how "small". The paintings always work better that way!

Marie Theron said...

A lovely plein air painting, Jill! Now that I have started oils again, I appreciate your work very much. This is a plain spot absolutely saturated with history. Thank you for both painting and photos!

DEB said...

I like your painting better than the photo! Beautiful work!

Kerri said...

Your painting is beautiful! And your photos are super too. Looks like a great place to explore!

Kathy Cousart said...

Wonderful painting. I also like seeing how you edit if needed or bump up color just a smidge to make it sing just right. Your paintings have a wonderful sense of light and color harmony to them also.

NoviceArtist said...

Wonderful work!!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Wow. I love history, Jill and the photos are superb.
It's unusual to be able to take a previous idea and complete it. Congratulations on a great finish!

susan hong-sammons said...

wow! every time I look at your work and where you get to paint I get green with envy. This painting strikes me particularly. It's quite commanding and one of those pieces I wish I could see in person.
Happy Painting Jill!

Don Bishop said...

Hi Jill,
Beautiful greens in the middle area. Love the texture!
Cheers, Don B

painting techniques said...

Great painting! I like how you did the bricks in the first painting up top!...Daniel

Jill Berry said...

Thank you all so much for your varied and always inspiring comments.
All of them build into lessons to remember as I go out to paint the next "small" thing. Yet try to express the "Magnificence" therein.
The Forts here are a "Great place to explore" with interesting history. When I asked my son if he knew some fats like they were built by slaves, ect. He reminded me that he use to enjoy hanging around out there so much that he could have been a tour guide, so yes.
I am learning, Kathy, It is all about the editing to make your point clearer.
Thanks again ALL, good to hear from you again.
and Susan- I very much enjoyed the scenery up North- in KY last week. I would say "if you've seen one palm tree, you've seen them all", but that's not true. Every tree has a character of it's own. Let's just say, I really like the pink dogwoods and redbuds that graced the hill of my hometown last week.