Sunday, February 6, 2011

Opening Night! Journal of Color and Light

 Art Praha European Galerie, on Palafox, is in the heart of downtown Pensacola, the epicenter of Gallery Night. The honor of my "Journal of Color and Light" showing here, meant maximum exposure. I hung out with my paintings, we mingled and talked art with a thousand new faces.
The Pensacola News Journal's "Eye on Art" spotlighted the show, saying:
[Since the evening is mostly about local art, the headline show is "A Journey of Color and Light" by painter Jill Berry at Art Praha Galerie, 124 Palafox Place. Berry is a Kentuckian who moved to the area in 1998. She's mostly a plein air painter, an artist who works with easels in the outdoors. This 19-piece show focuses on her waterfront scenes.

"Inspiration for my work happens on the spot," Berry wrote. "Painting outside, I must quickly discern what most impresses me about the day, the location, and aim to capture a sense of place; preserve a moment to share with the viewer."
You can get a sneak preview by visiting her website, www.jillberryartist.com.]
Jeidy, the gallery curator, selected my 28 paintings currently on display throughout Art Praha.
At times there was a line waiting at the door to get in. But my plein air painting pals were there as I arrived. 
They were also at the breakfast table about four years ago when I joined their painting group for the first time.  This is not the end of our journey together, but for me: it certainly is a milestone- flyin solo!
Additional Pensacola News Journal Gallery Night overview article link:

10 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

Congratulations! I'm thrilled for you!

Gilberto said...

Locks god, beste wishes.
Hear in Canada every thing is white today.

Kathy Cousart said...

Congratulations. You are a wonderfully talented artist and those paintings are just beautiful! I hope to find a group to grow with as you did! You are an inspiration and fun to see your special paintings and you going "solo"

Carol Blackburn said...

Congratulations Jill.....looks like a fabulous turn out for your show. You are beaming with joy!
What a wonderful thing to share with your blogger friends.

Bruce Sherman said...

Jill! ... Congrats on the show! Looks spectacular... great variety and very nicely presented and framed!


By the looks of the crowd... a success! Hope the sales push that same feeling further for you!

God luck with the show and...
Good Painting!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Congratulations and my best wishes!

Karen said...

What an absolutely cool post, what a thrill. Flyin' solo, you deserve it...the work looks great!

Jill Berry said...

This is my very first conversation with this new Mac, so if it says something weird or unusual, it just doesn't know how to read me yet~

All of your congratulations are, well- sweet!
What makes the thrill more thrilling is connecting with like-minds like you.

Thanks Pam.

And Gilberto- the sand out back of my house is very-very white too, I imagined it snow today. Thanks for visiting via blog-land.

Kathy- Groups are inspiring. Iron sharpens iron. Thanks.

Carol- If I could find the low-beam button, I might turn down the brightness on a couple of those grins. thanks

Bruce- Thanks for the comment on presentation.
As many as 2000 may have sifted through. I'll just say it was constant for a few hours- you know us artists, bad with numbers! At any rate an excellent turnout.

Thanks Ramesh!
(ps my daughter visits India again soon)

Thanks so much Karen! In a ageless way- just feels like your my big blog-sister. (guess 'cause ya been around since I can 'member)
Enjoyed checkin out your snow-scenes, now with a wilderness desert twist! Your got plein-air fortitude is amazing!

Toemailer said...

Looks like it was a fantastic show!

Paros Shepherd said...

Yes, quite the show. What struck my curisoty was the name Art Praha Galerie.
I host plein air workshops on a Greek island and lately spend most winters in Prague.
It would be great to connect the two worlds.
Cheers,