Sunday, January 9, 2011

Seeing With a Fresh Eye

Mid-Summer Vignette, [SOLD], 2x16, Oil on Gallery wrap canvas.
This scene has a window-into-adventure effect. I think I maintained a focused glimpse, even without that great branch at the top. Just looking past the last storm's debris and letting the palms say "tropical".

To turn a painting into what we want it to be, we have to learn to see with a fresh eye. Turn the painting upside down, and see if it holds together. Or with back to the painting, look at it through a mirror. Or simply stash it for a long time.

This one, just now dressed up and ready for show, was inspired June 2008. Some say you can't work on a painting that has been dry so long. But the way I see it, if someone is still enjoying this piece hundreds of years from now, then they probably already got their money's worth. More than likely, they didn't pay a fortune for it, and if they did, then they can also afford a restorer to fix the chipped paint. Yes, I strive to be professional, moreover though, my painting is a quest of happiness.

(At the risk of feeling like Delilah) I leave you with a pick-me-up song:  Upside Down...

6 comments:

Victor Errington said...

Hi Jill.
Beautiful painting. So colourful and definite. Also the Photos are really helpful for the Viewer, thank you for adding them. All the best Jill.
Vic.

Crystal Cook said...

Wonderful work. I love your brushstrokes in the trees and the composition especially. :) And also, I dearly love that monkey.

Gwen Bell said...

Love those magnificent Palms! Gorgeous!

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

Wow - that is a complex scene for plein air. Nicely done.

Jill Berry said...

Thank you all, so much!
Now that my show is up, I can relax and check on your work again.

And Thanks also to new followers. It's always a pleasant surprise to hear from you!

Teresa said...

I always admire the changes you make. What you see before you is not nearly as interesting as what ends up on your canvas. You're a true artist.