Monday, December 20, 2010

Joy to the World!


As I sat out on my swing in the sun recently, reflecting on a great show I had just visited at the Museum of Fine Art in Houston, it was the Pain that Max Liebermann painted through that pressed upon my memory.

After having inspected the brushstrokes and viewed from a distance seven rooms full of Impressionist Landscape Paintings, I stayed for the Gallery Talk. I sat amidst the later works of these three - Liebermann, Corinth, and Slevogt; Impressionists and during that era, but isolated because they were German. Within their own country the government maligned some art-work as infidel, some people: worthless, because of faith, beliefs. While studying the composition and shadows of his terrace garden painting, I hear about how Liebermann's wife received notice that her fate was to be a concentration camp, then she took her own life.

I know! A painful fact that I almost wish I hadn't been illuminated to. Unless of course, in contrast it helps me see the light of Christmas brighter. May our great country be forever allowed to enjoy a Hallelujah chorus, celebrate the Joy of Faith, and share with family the gift of Love.

Hope you have a few minutes to absorb some Joy from these two musical clips of a precious short film about a man, a city, and "the freedom he found amid the sadness." (To view the complete film, in 4 parts- http://www.youtube.com/user/WhiteLionPictograph . The music in "Music Box" is by the Sensational Nightingales. And... "It was meant to be shared". Christmas Joy to all my friends around the world.


4 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Hello Jill, wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year.

Luzia said...

May the Christmas season
fill your home with joy,
your heart with love
and your life with laughter.
Luzia is wishing you peace, prosperity and health for 2011.

Kathy Cousart said...

Jill, Enjoyed this- thanks for sharing. Joy to you this holiday season! Love your plein air work and enjoy seeing the photo and your composition- beautiful!

Jill Berry said...

trust you all had Happy Holidays and are gearing up for an inspired 2011!
I miss checking on other blogger's work as much as I use to, but for now I must seize the day and paint like a mad woman for the next few weeks anyway, till my show.
As always I love your kind input.