Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Perdido Key, FL


Perdido Key, Beach Access #1, 14x18, Oil, [SOLD].
This location is nearly visible from my house and I've never painted there until Friday. My phone was showing the red warning signal for a heat advisory. (I wondered if it knew I was outside, or just knew I was in FL.) Anyway, I stayed in the shade. When the shadow of this high-rise moved on, I was done as well.
No, we don't usually have tractors on our beach. But we gladly made way for them as they were there to help clean-up for BP. I can't say that I saw any actual clean-up, but perhaps they finished working before I started. The water looked crystal clear, and the sand was clean. So they encouraged me as they drove heavy equipment by, enjoyed the dolphins through binoculars, and rested under their 99-degree tent. They should have moved their break-room to the wind-tunnel where we painted. It was so windy that Kay's easel was blown over. Luckily her finished painting landed face up. 

11 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Beautifully done, Jill. And you managed to keep your cool long enough to finish it. Brave soul!

Teresa said...

So glad to hear that your beaches remain clean and beautiful. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Re: your painting... once again you have taken an ordinary scene and made it into something beautiful and interesting. Love it!

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Jill, you did a wonderful job! Lovely painting!

susan hong-sammons said...

really lovely. I've been studying this trying to figure out how you get a sunny day and why is it that when I paint in Chicago, I can't get as much of a sunny day feel as you capture. Is it me or is it hazy here even when the sun is shinning???

BaysideLife said...

Extra points for staying out in the heat long enough to finish your painting. Glad you had a breeze. The painting is, once again, a lovely depiction of our beautiful beaches.

Janelle Goodwin said...

So glad you reported no sign of icky oil. Your painting makes me want to take the path and jump right in. I love the vibrant jewel-like colors!

Dusty Pines said...

i really like your interpretation - and the chance to see it compared to the original! your colors work so well together & there's so much life in the sky & sand! thank you!

Tonya Vollertsen said...

Nice painting and great report of clear water and beaches!

Jill Berry said...

Thanks ALL~
for sharing your thoughts on my work, and our environment. It's nice to hear from each of you. Always such Encouragement!

Ramesh- Good to see you again! I know you're busy becoming a great painter!!

Hey Susan! Thanks a lot! It must be that shadowed foreground that sets the sunlit area apart. Your good-buddy Karen is a master at such. I've never been plein-airin' up North.

Bayside- Yeah, the wind & shade made it bearable. Not so the following week. Do you recognize the location of the next post? It's about 5 miles from this spot.

Janelle- On the impulse & the vibrancy~ Thanks!

Dusty! Great feedback!
It's wonderful when a work manages to retain color harmony & life. It's difficult sometimes to say just enough to be a personal interpretation without taking it too far- into the lifeless zone.

judy said...

This makes me wish I was a plein air painter, too!.... Sounds like a perfect day to go along with such a perfect painting! Good job!

Jill Berry said...

Thank you, kind commenter! So are you saying I should gift you with an easel? ... To record all the beauty that surrounds you?