Friday, June 18, 2010

Last Stop- Pensacola


Location- Palafox Pier, facing downtown Pensacola. You certainly can't wear long sleeves out today- it was toasty-hot even this morning, and humidity- that makes your camera lens fog. This little adventure goes back to early March. Title- "Last Stop- Pensacola" (SOLD) 11x14, Oil.


This sailor was on a voyage from Oregon to the Bahamas. The wetsuit was to relieve the chill of jumping in the cold water to remove a fishing net tangled in his prop. From our brief chat, I gathered his excitement to sail the open seas, though a bit of concern over having sleep-apnea out there alone. Also, his kids (in TN, I believe) would be his first stop when returning home from his journey of a life-time.   
Here's a link to a music-vid, "I Am Sailing" by Rod Stewart. It's not concert quality, but that just adds to the breezy feelin'~~~ Enjoy!

11 comments:

nancy elstad said...

I remember visiting that exact spot in April. Wish I could SEE it as you do!
Beautiful.....
Do you teach?

BaysideLife said...

Just love that painting. We have friends who dock their boat there, so that particular scene is very familiar to me.

Janelle Goodwin said...

I love that you showed us the scene you were painting. I think you added extra character and warmth! I always enjoy seeing your long blonde ponytail while you're painting!

Jill Berry said...

Nancy- Thank You so much for your complimentary remarks! I taught painting privately years ago in Miami & NC, but am currently devoted to teaching myself to paint. Learning to SEE is the greatest part of the battle- values, color temperature, ect. If you come to town again, we should paint!

Thanks Bayside! Monday I'll find out if it will be shown in the Members' Exhibition at Pensacola Museum of Art.

Hey Janelle-
So sweet~ you are.
I'm here in the studio listening to a "Prairie Home Companion" drama about a wireless camp where you can't check your email. Of course the impulse hit me to check mine... & got your comment. I'm glad I haven't been sent to computer-rehab yet.
Thanks!

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Very nice. I think you made it look even better than real. More character.

Luzia said...

Dear Jill, it´s great! It reminds me on an french boulevard building near the waterside. It´s romantic and the colours are wonderful. Jill, I thank your for your very kind comments on my blog! Wish you a nice week and always a lot of inspiration. Greetings from Luzia.

Gwen Bell said...

I really love this composition and all of the reds at play. The perspective is spot on! To see the small canvas on your easel next to that huge building and the way you can create the proper perspective on the spot is nothing short of amazing!

Karen Bruson said...

Again, your painting is so much better than the photo.

Jill Berry said...

I really appreciate these...
~character~
~~romantic~
~~~composition with perspective.
It's great to have responsive readers!

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Oh Wow, I have forgotten how wonderful your blog is. Great photos, great music, but most of all GREAT ART. I shall return.

All the best to you.

Don Bishop said...

Nice painting Jill!
Cheers, Don B