Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Gulf Coast Environment

"How much is that painting in the window?", I hope someone asks soon, of my shrimping boat (Joe Patti's, 18x24, Oil). [p.s. from Dec. 2010, the painting is sold, now]. I like this image, it appears the birds in the painting are about to launch out into the real sky. I don't usually add birds, but on this day they became an undeniable part of the atmosphere as they greeted the seafood boats with their fresh catch. The is behind Joe Patti's Seafood- a famous local hot-spot. Usually, it's so busy, you wait for your number to get called before choosing your fresh seafood. They have a large gourmet market also. 

I can not fathom what all those whose livelihood comes from these waters will endure, since the tragic oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
For me, it is a place of beauty, a nature reserve, a place to air out my brain, a spa, a workout gym- a place of recreation, an unpredictable swim- the waves might be kind, or they might beat you up a bit. But until today, it hasn't been advised "No Swimming" because of oil. Walking along the beach and scooping up oil-globs with my water bottle,trying to keep the birds out of them and my back-yard clean for one more day... that was a crude awakening. 
Oh! I do have some happy news- three of my paintings have found a new home! So the Gulf Coast economy (at least on a personal level) has a bright spot. I had "Crepe Myrtle" among others, with me to take to my Interiors outlet when the Dentist bought it right out of the trunk of my car! Bright side to going to the dentist too! Marketing is not my strong suit, but one thing's for sure- if you don't show them, you won't sell them 

9 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

I think the whole country is deeply saddened by the events in the gulf...it will eventually hit us all in one way or another.
Congrats on the sales!

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Hi Jill, your paitings are lovely, you are very talented. It is such a pleasure to read your blog, thank you for sharing your plein air adventures!
Joan

Carol Blackburn said...

Hi Jill,
Love visiting your blog to see your art, photos and read your commentaries. Always something of interest.

Chuck Dilmore said...

Jill,
congratulations!
love your stuff.

keep the faith~
C

BaysideLife said...

Jill
Congratulations on the sale of your paintings. Dentists can be so unpredictable!

I'm glad that you are recording our Gulf's beauty. I just can't imagine it any other way but pristine. I hate what is happening and feel so helpless and angry. Usually when I feel like this I go to the beach to get myself straightened out. Now I'm afraid of what I will find.

Hope they figure something out soon.

Karen Bruson said...

Congratulations on selling your paintings!

susan hong-sammons said...

Jill, Thanks for sharing your personal perspective on what's happening with the oil spill. It's been tough to watch the news. Glad to see your still finding time to paint and remind everyone of the powerful beauty on your coast.

Teresa said...

Your painting is (as always!) gorgeous. You're so good at reinventing what you see before you and making it into something truly magical.

Congrats on the sale!!

Re: Oil... it's sickening to watch its effect on wildlife, the environment and the economy. We're waiting..... and wondering... here in NC. Like you, we have a large part of our economy tied up with our shoreline. But it's more than that... I can hardly bear to think about all those beautiful, life-giving miles of shoreline polluted.

Jill Berry said...

Thanks!!
for your "condolences",
and your interest in my little art world.
Encouraging words are a source of power