Monday, May 10, 2010

The ~Outside Lover~ Show

                                                       Cotton Pickin' Time, SOLD, 12x24, Oil
My recent days have been consumed with readying 12 pieces for The ~Outside Lover~ Show. It's up and running at the Foley Performing Arts Center along the main-drag on Hwy 98 in Alabama. This cotton field painting was inspired by the stretch of road not too far away.
Busy week, two shows with opening nights, one after the other. Recently, I've been asked why I didn't do this (become an artist) sooner. The simple truth- when the kids were part of the picture, they were the focus.
Seasons...change.
I invited other outdoor-painters to hang as well. Our 40 works will be on display through the month of May. (The right top 3 aren't mine.)
At the risk of being theatrical... here's Cohen's musical version of inspiring words written by Frank Scott, (a poet & law-professor, married to an artist). Thoughts on a republic, a commonwealth, yet, what is more grass-roots, more foundational than the family's well-being? Hope all my blog-girl-friends have great reflections of motherhood.

10 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

This is wonderful, Jill. Lots of luck at the show.

Gilberto said...

My best wishes on the results of your present show


I was out of circulation for to, to long because of accumulations of work creation preparedness, hangings and openings. Today I rejoice to come to enjoin the camaraderie of friend artists, a most important part of me been or tray to be an artist.

Karen said...

These last 2 are just so stunning...there's something about the way you've got thick and thin working with each other that makes them just 'jump' from the canvas, if that makes sense.
Sending good thoughts your way for a wonderful show!!

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Beautiful poem set to music, Jill. And good luck on the show. Your work is wonderful. I appreciated your comment about how your "artist" identity (and development of the skill?) came after the children were grown. Art is a kind of creation similiar to child raising. I sometimes think I will move more in that direction after my daughter is off to college. You are inspiring. Love the outdoor scenes you select. <3

Teresa said...

Congrats! Your paintings look right at home hanging in an art show.

Dana Cooper said...

It's spring every day now, this is beautiful, Jill...good luck with your shows!

Gwen Bell said...

What a great post! First of all, your painting is wonderful. I've been following you for quite a while and your work continues to grow by leaps and bounds. This is so well painted. The show looks great! Wish I could be there to see so many pieces displayed together.

Thanks so much for the song from the great Leonard Cohen. What an extraordinary voice from an extraordinary man.

Jill Berry said...

Thanks a lot, Carol...

& ALL the new folks that read.

I regret the time-squeeze doesn't allow me to visit-around as much as I'd like, to see what everyone is up to.

Gilberto- Welcome back! Nice hat! There are so many facets besides just painting. Art activities! Yesterday- Artists by the Bay luncheon. Tomorrow- Art Study Club luncheon. When am I suppose to be producing my ~masterpiece~?

Karen- It's always great to receive your thoughts from afar. Somehow we're on the same wavelength!

Cynthia- my journal appreciates you adding your thoughts~ a beam of light in Puerto Rico~

Teresa- Thanx! It's good to get them out once in a while. I'm sure they get cooped up @ home.

Dana-
and
Gwen-
Glad you're enjoying similar climate... get out those capri pants~ add some heels! what the heck~
I've got the perfect time for you to come- as chairman of the Fair-show I need 2 judges! See You in the fall. ok? Plus I already know you kind of like my work.

(Karen- you & Susan are my back-up. ~please~)

rahina q.h. said...

you have managed to capture a lovely atmosphere of stillness here Jill. good luck with the exhibitions.

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Jill your display is amazing. The best of luck to you with the show.