Friday, April 16, 2010

Sojourn...Sargent and the Sea

"Morning Wave" [18x24, Oil] was done in a workshop session, from my own photo. Using a knife and paint bulked-up with gel, I practiced bold textural strokes, leaving the pink undertone exposed. Though not really considering it complete, it was framed and hung. (I think I was expecting company, fresh art is one of the painter's perks.) That's how it happens to be the first thing I see in the morning. I've often thought about defining the wave along the horizon. But, have grown accustom to it, even like it, as is.

So where does an art student who lives by the shore go for Spring-break? How 'bout a virtual cruise with Sargent via The Museum of Fine Art Houston. Of course, he's primarily known for portraits, which are also on exhibit in all their glory. But for those of us who enjoy drifting... open seas & open skies... it was a vacation for the art-spirit. If you get half-a-chance, don't miss it- "Sargent and the Sea". What I found most interesting about these early seascapes- the brushwork! Minimal, yet calculatingly purposeful was each stroke.

After the main attraction, don't miss the permanent collection. All the big guys are there! Here's Me & Monet. I saw Van Gogh again, Sisley, Renoir, Cezanne... you name it, he or she is there. Oh yeah, and a whole Pendergast exhibit is showing as well! I'm not as taken by watercolor... but he was interesting to get to know.
"We need sometimes to escape into solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, wrote the philosopher George Santayana. In a provocative essay about travel, he claimed that locomotion was the key to intelligence." Uncharted Waters chapter, "Sargent and the Sea".

8 comments:

Victor Errington said...

Morning Jill.
(It`s 10.45am here). That Sea painting of yours is the best Sea painting that I have seen in a long time. Absolutely fantastic. Well done Jill, and all the best.
Vic.

Carol Blackburn said...

Love the waves. Coming from living along the ocean as a child, I grew up with the sound of the waves lulling me to sleep. The seashore was my second home. Your painting captures it wonderfully. Enjoy your day.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Your sea painting is a meditation. I love the beauty of the waves and can almost hear the sounds. Being landlocked makes me want to visit the sea and your painting allows me to do that. Thanks!

Dana Cooper said...

This is without a doubt one of my favorite sea paintings...I think it is perfect like it is. Living in so. cal. there are a lot of ocean paintings but none as colorful and painterly as this....well done!

Gwen Bell said...

I agree with Victor...haven't seen one anywhere that I liked as well as this one in a long time. REally great work! In fact, when I saw you had some Sargent paintings posted I read again to make sure it was yours. Opened up to the larger view and took in all the incredible colors. The translucency in that front wave is stunning!

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Jill, I can look at this painting all day. I love the color and brush work, it's mesmerizing. Well done and thank you for sharing your photos on Sargent, he's one of my favorites.

Karen Bruson said...

Wow, great sea painting. I've never attempted that subject. It looks like too much of a challenge. You nailed it.

Jill Berry said...

YOU ALL~!!! are the ~bestest~
such a blessing to me!

This bloggertunity to share personal glimpses...
then to see then in a new light...
from an artist/friend point of view... really is a sweet-treat.

I'm looking out at the bay now~~ moving water~~~ there's nothing like it~~~.
It's a world full of ~wonder~ impossible to capture, but attempting makes the journey awesome!

Waves of blessing to you all~
THANKS.

& Dana!- the West-coast girl, who really knows her paintin' & the sea~~~ I'm still ridin high on that one~~~