Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ambient Landscape

 
Music is there...in the air...as I work in the studio. Art and music share the same elements. Visual artists talk about the overall tone of the piece, color harmonies, rhythm & variety in composition. I've noticed too, musicians often use visual speak to describe their work... notes aimed to bring us to a place... a feeling of being in a certain "ambient landscape".
My studio days cycle through a variety of musical types. My morning work is subject to the Classics. Mid-day, spinnin' my own tunes, I play DJ, trying not to get paint on the Cds. As evening rolls around, I enjoy radio programing again, which gets progressively more laid back. Sometimes I'm asked if the tunes effect my painting, and perhaps they do.
Wikipedia describes this late night "Ambient" sound...[evoking a sense of "continuum of space imagery & emotion", beneficial introspection, deep listening, & sensations of floating, cruising or flying.] & "turning the rational order of musical sequences into an ocean of sensation"! So there, you can see why...when I look at my work the next morning, it's not all as amazing as it was the night before! ...(between the altered state & the turps!)
Actually, I think this painting was improved. It was inspired by an unspoiled Florida landscape and I think throwing the palm in helps it say that, in an otherwise boring composition. I considered calling it "Gator Country" because we did see one that day. It has a peaceful feel... so it is- "Ambient Landscape", 11x14, Oil. [SOLD]
Excitement here!... a new addition arrived at the studio today!! A beautiful, pristine studio easel with "Carolina" stamped into the wood, so I guess that's her name! Gotta go... Carolina on my mind. 

16 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

I see a real rhythm to your brushwork here Jill...lovely!

Marie Theron said...

Jill, what a lovely painting! I have just done the same type of scene, but prefer yours! I just love seeing you painting there, It is a wonderful idea to share those photos with us as well as your thoughts on music. Vivaldi's birthday today...so maybe we can both listen and connect in that way?

Veronica Funk said...

Can't wait to see that easel ;)

Victor Errington said...

Hi Jill.
It is amazing how you just use the subject infront of you as an idea to create a wonderful painting. It is better than the actual subject. Well done Jill and all the best.
Vic.

David Larson Evans said...

Great stuff

susan hong-sammons said...

What a fabulous painting. I love your lushy paint application and your composition is to die for!

rahina q.h. said...

great interpretation Jill, especially love the way you capture light. r.

Dennis Dame said...

Nice job Jill! Looks like fun painting in nice weather. Kind of cool and damp around here in Oregon.
Thanks for sharing. Keep up the fine work!

Megha Chhatbar said...

Hey Jill, Such a beautiful painting. Keep it up. Will visit to see more of your work. You have one new follower...:)

Anita Stoll said...

I have often woken up to see the painting I thought was very pleasing the day before seem quite ordinary the next morning. I think there is something to what you wrote about. Anywy, the painting is lovely.

Luzia said...

Like an american Monet.... Greetings from Luzia.

loriann said...

I was enjoying the thick juicy paint when I clicked on the image- ooooh the brushwork is devine..like music.

Gary Keimig said...

you are getting a lot of energy in your paintings. I like that last one posted too.

Gwen Bell said...

Beautiful cloud reflections in the water and I love that palm tree. Really serene and beautiful!

Jill Berry said...

Muchas Gracias! to all my kind friends on the other end of this computer wire.

Thanks Dana!
I hope... I got rhythm~

Marie- It is wonderful how music connects!

Hey Veronica!
She's almost too pretty to paint on!

Vic, David & Dennis-
Thanks guys...
I appreciate your encouragement a lot!

Thanks Susan,
"Lushy" is good, right?

Rahina,
Gwen &
Loriann-
Thx for comments on light & reflections, and brushwork. I'm always glad to see you checked up on me.

Megha, all the way from India! Welcome! and Thank You.

Anita...
So you can relate?
The one I was going to post next... I didn't think had any merit by the time I got the post ready. So I'm serving left-overs today. Back to the easel tomorrow to see what kind of damage I can do!

Hi Luzia!
What a pedestal of greatness you put me on! I guess... we all start somewhere... on the journey of achievement.

Gary-
Thanks for the Energizing comment!
I think I have a boost enough to put this laptop down & go get my mid-day caffiene fix!

Highton-Ridley said...

Your paintings are so much more beautiful than the photos of the same spot, Jill. I especially like the way you replaced the boat and the verticals of the mast with the palm tree. Simply inspired! :)