Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Skies...forever changing

As we arrived on scene, it was the drama in the skies that peaked my interest. On this last workshop day, as we kicked back and watched Nina's demonstration, the clouds also put on an impressive show. Formations drifting. Atmosphere, our backdrop, in perpetual motion. To me that's intriguing. Like Impressionistic art... broken color... free forms, no static edges.
One fun day, before I was a plein-air artist, I took my classes outside to do a cloudscape on medium blue pastel paper with colored chalk. Some very nice work came from that group of about 100 2nd-6th graders, and it was often from the younger ones. You remember 6th grade.. and opposite distractions! 
Notice the mood swings of this sky within a few hours.
"Drama in the Skies" 11x14, Oil, SOLD

12 comments:

Susan Roux said...

Wonderful! I love your interpretation. Those were beautiful clouds...

Janelle Goodwin said...

Ooooo, that's so much fun looking at all the cloud shapes! The second from the bottom photo reminds me of Mickey Mouse. Love your painting, Jill. Especially when I click on and can see all the impasto strokes. Beautiful!

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Oh my gosh Jill. Magnificent painting and wonderful pictures. I have an award waiting for you on my blog. Have a great day.

Karen Bruson said...

Again, your painting is so much better than the photo. What a gorgeous place to paint. Meanwhile, back in New England...its been snowing and raining all day.

Diane Hoeptner (hep-ner) said...

Yes, those are definitely some high drama cloud movements!!

Gwen Bell said...

Wonderful painting with those incredible, majestic clouds.
Great photos too!

Victor Errington said...

Hi Jill.
You can sure pick out a subject from a tangled mass. The last two paintings are brilliant as usual. And thank you for the photos. Would you mind if I printed off one of them to have a go? All the best Jill.
Vic.

Paul Batch said...

The energy in your painting is fantastic!

gary taneri said...

Your paintings are very nice. The colors are great. Keep painting.

Jill Berry said...

So glad you all enjoyed the
pics...the place...& the painting.
I enjoy hearing your responses!

And...
a big WELCOME to the new guys & girls.

Luzia said...

Such wonderful landscapes and colours! You have done a perfect job! Greetings from Luzia,

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

We've hardly seen those types of clouds in South Florida this winter.
What a beautiful painting.