Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Perils of Working Out

This is a story with no real conclusion, but a decent story none the less. The hardest part of painting outside is choosing what to paint. I start by...scoping out the scene through my camera lens. It helps me to frame, and separate certain aspects from the multitude of possibilities. How far you zoom in or out, of course, alters your image. Here, the intriguing detail of the close-up probably creates a better photo than painting. I could have easily gone with that row of sailboats in the distance, some others chose that.
Climbed back up the hill because I rather liked this high perspective. By the way, this is the same location as last week; one week prior, totally different sky, different mood, different interpretation. Anyway, I had finally decided. How could I go wrong with the drama of that red roof reflecting in the water. I was all set up... (hi-ho...hi-ho...it's off to work we go...) when the unthinkable happened. ~Splash!~ into the water, Fred's whole pastel board and paper! Naturally Betty climbed into the nearest boat after a net to try and rescue the supplies. Did I mention there were huge jellyfish lurking around us? (That's why the shrimp boats were taking the day off).
So to help him take his mind off his loss, I did the decent thing. "Here...use my canvas...use my paint..." And that, my friends is how I coaxed Professor Myers into a free demo! He blushes behind his beard when I introduce him that way. But secretly, I think he likes it. To me, this is the day I went to work, but got out of working.

8 comments:

Chuck Dilmore said...

an Artist and a friend!

somehow
even when things don't pan out
we don't come home
empty-handed.

thanks for the tale!
peace~

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

I love your stories of plein air warfare...that's why I admire what you do, with the adversity and yet you still produce amazing work...and you are a generous soul to boot!

BaysideLife said...

Sometimes the best art is what we wrought from others. Nice tale of one sould helping another.

Ramesh Jhawar said...

Jill, this is a lovely tale! Your act saved the day!Thanks for sharing!
Happy painting :)

Karen said...

Ha! How funny...only because we've all at some point lost our supplies one way or another (once when mine went in the lake my generous brother-in-law dove in after them!). Glad you were able to save the day!

Anita Stoll said...

Jill,
I have nominated you for a special award. Please come to my blogsite.
Thank You.

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Jill, all set up and ready to go! I loved the story of unfinished beginnings...maybe you just want to spend time studying...it's your getting-ready-to-paint phase? Thanks for sharing.

Jill Berry said...

THANKS ya'll...
for the feedback!

And Anita...
for the special mention...
the ~Creative Blogger~ award!