Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Under the Live Oak

Since my first visit to Pensacola, the majestic Live Oak tree has captivated me. They are a symbol of strength in the South, used for building ships that cannonballs could not penetrate. Yet, their little leaves produce such delicate shadow patterns. Most interesting to me, is how the branches reach out. Live Oaks are valued and protected here. You can often see a parking lot paved around one; or in this case a deck build around one, preserving the comfort of its shade and history. One time in NC, my kids and I walked over to the big tree with the tree house by the sound, notebook and pen in hand. The assignment was to write: {what happened on this very spot, 100 years ago?}.
Back to this adventure... sort of felt like I was setting up a still life. When I got there, only the yellow kayak was out. I liked the little aqua one I could see tucked under the deck, so I added a friend.
This one is sold and will become a gift to the kayak owners and tree preservers. Oh, I hope they don't happen to read this, and I spoiled their surprise.
The only other thing that stands out about this day is hearing Professor Myers say, "looks like she's fencing". I guess I was getting into it again. Painting out is a bit more exhilarating than indoors.
Thanks to all who take the time to share with me your reactions. It makes the experience richer still.
Under the Live Oak, 12x16, Oil, SOLD

20 comments:

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Hi Jill,
Very nice treatment of the tree. Great post. It made me smile because my (writer)sister just posted about ships and cannon and fencing. http://melaniesherman.blogspot.com

Fence on!

kathrin said...

I love that kinds of trees
and your paintings are great !!!
Kathrin

Diane Hoeptner (hep-ner) said...

Not a bad way to spend an afternoon!

Chuck Dilmore said...

beautiful, Jill!
i think every leaf
was made from its own palette.

love seeing you in your e l e m e n t .

Mary Jane said...

Oh, does this scene ever look inviting, Jill!

Beautiful work!

Pam Holnback said...

Great tree! Great sky holes.

Sonia said...

Beautiful!! Your colors are magical...

Janelle Goodwin said...

I love to click on the picture of your paintings so I can see the thick, juicy impasto strokes. Wonderful painting, Jill!

Marie Theron said...

Lovely work, Jill. We have many oaks in the Cape, over 300 years old. You recreated the character of the tree.

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Dear Jill, how nice to "rediscover" your blog! Your paintings are beautiful and your blog is so well written, I love reading your thoughts, plus it's informative. And I like to see lots of photos, thank you for sharing.
I've put you on my "favorites" list now so I'll be checking back regularly and I won't lose you again.
Joan

Gwen Bell said...

Love that tree and the added splash of color from the Kayaks. Great job!

Luzia said...

Last year, we vistit a place near Berlin, where we can see a 900! year old tree(Eiche). I was so impressed about this tree! I guess, I should paint him after this wonderfull inspiration from your painting...... Luzia.

rahina q.h. said...

hi Jill, i love the way you handled the brushwork: it reflects the energy of the day and the light. and already sold, well done:) r.

Jill Berry said...

The knowledge that my work inspires a creative spark in you, rekindles the flame in me.
(Thanks Luzia]
Thank You, all!

Dale- Thanks for sharing your creative sis. I enjoyed reading her research/fencing experience.

Mary Jane- Welcome to the PAPJ! Happy to have you sharing in the experience. Looks like the sun is shining on ya in NY!

Marie- I appreciate the "character" comment!

Joan- Thank you so much for letting me know your impressions. (I wonder sometimes if I'm "sharing" more than necessary. Don't want to get too wordy.)
Your new studio~ what a blessed artist you are!
As I saw your October art show, I realized- that was a year ago!... I "met" you via your blog and work!!

Luzia- Yes, you should paint that old tree. I'm sure you took excellent photographs to refer to.

Rahina- "Reflecting energy", that's a great comment!

Celeste Bergin said...

When people love and respect the wonders of nature...it sincerely shows in their work. Such is the case with this painting.

Victor Errington said...

Lovely painting as usual Jill.
Well done, and all the best.
Vic.

Amalia said...

Hi Jill, I love your painting, very expressive!, someday I'll do the same, I just have to find the right moment.
Kisses.

Sadia Hussain said...

Beautiful work and very nicely captured!

susan hong-sammons said...

fabulous!!!! It's so fresh and full of life. I can almost smell the air. lucky new owners. They will always treasure it.

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Hi Jill, how wonderful to see you painting at such beautiful locations. We are getting some nasty weather here on Long Island. But I do love the seasons. Jill you continue to inspire me, in fact it was you and Karen that gave me the bug to attempt painting plein air. Thank you. Have a great Thanksgiving.