Saturday, November 28, 2009

L'expe'rience


Sure, you can read my journal... my plein-air confessions. I for one, am not religious when it comes to plein-air. If I can envision a way to improve it; I have no qualms about adding swirls to my sky, or a tree to keep the horizon from flat-lining. (Detect editing in the top two versions?) I'm not crazy about this one, not persuaded that the composition works. Though the boat was interesting, here my intended focus was the sky- thus the vertical format. Still, I wonder if it's too bottom-heavy. May check the mirror for changes. When honest with ourselves, we know they're not all keepers.

Well, the experience was exciting anyway. The wildlife that day! ~ as I packed up my bag... AHH, I ~screamed~!! & ~carried on~!! Was it a huge tarantula in there...?? The new guy just looked amused as he carried his stuff on to his car. Then he casually came back to ask if I was OK, after I fought off the deadly enemy, which turned out to be a crab. Later, I realized... the provisions out there! I should drop a crab pot next time.





















That's when I came up with my new invention: the Crab-duck-an. It's crab stuffing in a duck, cooked in a pelican. ~relax~
No animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Sky Drift, 11x14, Oil, SOLD

12 comments:

Chuck Dilmore said...

Ooo!
a journal
unlocked!

that boat is wicked...
looks like a little ghost ship to me.
love it!

but more
i love what you did with it!
i think it turned out great! as did the sky!

i have to think twice about your new recipe...
but if you say so, okay!

thank you for letting us in, Jill...
beautiful work out there!
peace~

Ramesh Jhawar said...

I'm always in awe of plein air painters! Braving the weather, the creepy crawlies (lol) and composing the picture spontaneously...Hats off to you, Jill! Great painting!

FishHawk said...

"Plein Air Painting Journal" has been included in this weeks A Sunday Drive. I hope this helps to attract even more new visitors (not to mention customers!) here.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2009/11/sunday-drive_29.html

Karen said...

You always make me laugh when I come over here! I absolutely love that picture of the crab!!

But it's interesting, because before I read your post, I looked at the painting and went oh! cool composition! I wonder if it feels uncomfortable because it's somewhat different than some of your others?

BaysideLife said...

Your paintings are wonderful. Found you through Cindy (aka Greetings from Florida)As I scrolled down your pictures, I suddenly realized that I recognized some of the places you were painting, especially the Oar House--a favorite lunch spot when we are out on the boat. Went right to your profile and sure enough, you're from Pensacola! We're at Garcon Point just north of the bridge. I envy your talent but so enjoy being a spectator to your wonderful art.

Sonia said...

Dear Jill, this is stunning! One of my favorites!! Such amazing sky... Love it!

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

I love your work and your plein air escapades. Lovely painting!

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Good painting Jill...having fun with reality is a plein airists priviledge =;-))

I've noticed in my own work that they are often not all keepers!

Jeffrey

Pam Holnback said...

Where do I order a crabducken?!

susan hong-sammons said...

I love it. I think the sky really sings and the boat is just a little bit of frosting to play off the sky.

Jill Berry said...

Your comments perked up my week!
Especially regarding the laughs, escapades, fun, and bravado.
Sometimes I need to (and do) step back and laugh at myself.

Yeah, Pam...
I'm banking on that "Crab-duck-an" to keep me from being a starving artist. How many do you want for your holiday festivities and gifts? I better get crabbin...!!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love this painting and MUST see the Northern Coast of Florida at some point. Beautiful landscape there.
Are you involved in the "Forgotten Coast" Paint Out?