Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sur-Prize Winner!

I'm feeling somewhat retrospective, totally blessed, and mildly hysterical after coming home with the ~1st Place Prize in 2D~ at the "Falling Water" Exhibit.
With a smile I flashback to a question asked me by a little girl as I painted at my easel in Seville Square Park one day. "Have you ever thought of becoming a Professional Artist?" ~ Which begs the question... At what point does one ~so inclined~ become ~esteemed as such~?? Is it a reality when you show? When you sell? Do you need a license from the courthouse? Do you have to put in a certain number of years? Or pass a juried inspection? I'm not sure... I think I'm balanced on the see-saw between the little girl dreams and the art-show judge. Just livin' the dream~ the artist life.
And on this particular starry night, when my humble offering found favor... She thought she was prom-queen, all adorned in her blue ribbon! A painting among paintings~ and in Fairhope- the artist colony... with galleries galore... musicians out tonight on street corners... a perfect summer night for an "art walk"... courtyard dining by the fountain... a night so fine that pianos come outside to play... Life was sweet ~ and a milky-way macchiato from "Page & Palette" to top it off.
As I passed back by the Eastern Shore Art Center, then closed, I looked through the glass doors & on through the gallery doors to see her one last time before she goes to her new owner's home. Something in me wanted to give her a pep-talk about the hundreds of judging eyes that will scrutinize as she hangs there. Some will question authenticity; others will enjoy the simplicity. But she really seemed to be doing fine in that prominent place of honor.
To approach the painting~ click on it, stroll around for up-close views, but do not touch.
Before we leave Fairhope I wanted you to see the new fountain that provided the theme for the show. It's behind the Fairhope Museum of History. The locals voted on the commission-winning artist. Looks like they picked a professional...
The "Waterfront" painting originally aired in the April 7th post.
I know... missed opportunity- should have bought then.
Seriously, I appreciate you letting me share the ponderings of my heart with you. Thanks!

29 comments:

Chuck Dilmore said...

Jill,
this is so richly deserved,
and we are so happy to see
your sweet face with the masterpiece!

beautiful congratulations!

savor it... but know
that there will be more!
peace~ Chuck

Don Bishop said...

Blue ribbons always bring a happy face! Nice pic of you too. Nice painting, ribbon and gal. Way to go!

Maree said...

No wonder you got the first prize - the painting is absolutely stunning Jill! Congratulations.

Janelle Goodwin said...

Congratulations, Jill! Your painting just radiates warmth and happiness - and so do you!

Victor Errington said...

Hi Jill. What a deserving painting,
1st prize, fantastic. you certainly
are a first class Artist. Thank you
for the info` you sent me Jill, much appreciated. All the best and
congratulations.
Vic.

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Congratulations, Jill! How wonderful. Beautiful painting and a great photo of you with it.

B Boylan said...

Go Jill, Go! What beautiful dancing colors of water!

Anonymous said...

Jill, thanks for sharing your thoughts and paintings. What a great job you have done. We are very proud of you and wish you even more success!

Your cousin,
Jeanne Bryant in GA

Sonia said...

Congratulations, dear Jill! You sure deserve the first prize on every painting you do! They are all gorgeous! Love your work! ;)

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

Wow Jill...you have so much to be proud of! The honor bestowed you was much deserved, but even without it this piece is spectacular. I did enlarge it to see the beautiful knife work.
A professional artist...you betcha!!

Todd Bonita said...

Hi Jill, thanks for the nice comments on my blog. Very nice of you to say. it prompted me to stop over and see who you are and I suddenly found myself scrolling through your blog checking out your awesome plein air work. You're very talented, good for you. I checked out your Don Demers workshop photos too. Don's amazing. I never met him even though he lives in the next town over from me....one of these days. Keep at it, you're amazing.
All the best.
Todd

Karen said...

Dear 1st Place Prize, YAY!! How absolutely fantastic! I am so happy for you.

A long time ago, I think it was Kathryn Law who posted this link:
http://evolution-control.com/license/
which is maybe what we need.
:)

Jill Berry said...

To All-
Now that I've shared with my blog-friends...
the party is complete.
Your sweetness is icing on the cake!
Makes me "radiate more happiness" and strive to be a "first class", "nice gal".

Brenda- thanks for the little cheer! And "dancing color"...you can expect paint to do much more than that- great comment!

Jeanne- So kind of you to comment! I guess I can't fault Dad for being proud of his girl & sending this to everyone in the land.
I heard from another cousin today, David from C-ville... He said "You resemble your Dad in the photo (that’s a complement)." Funny, I always thought I favored Mom's side.
I hope you and all yours are doing well. Thanks again.

Sonia- You are the sweetest of the sweets!

Dana- "Thank You Dana", I said out loud as I read your encouraging pep-talk. I thought you were a Southern California girl, but the "you betcha" sounded like someone from much further north. I had to check out your new profile shot to see if you had on Sarah Palin glasses.

Todd- Thanks so much for letting me know you visited and for your extremely kind words. You should get together with Demers... a very encouraging guy... like yourself.
Your boats are spectacular... how a shape can take on so many personalities is baffling!

Karen, I feel the joy! Thanks.
And for I.D. link... fun~eee.

Charlotte painting said...

This painting is my fave. All your work is amazing.

Genia Bohanon Conyers said...

You must have gotten your artistic abilities from mom to paint and write. Very nice, I'm very proud of you Sis. Beautiful picture of you. Love you!

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Hi Jill, so well deserving of this award. I love how you painted the water. Wonderful work. Congratulation!

Veronica Funk said...

Congratulations Jill! Always love the texture and colour of your work. It's nice, too, that you post the photos of you on location.

Chuck Dilmore said...

the curtain opens again,
and our applause is accented
with shouts of "Encorrre!"

Silver Sage Gallery said...

Jill. Congratulations. A well deserved award.

Bernie Rosage Jr. said...

Congrats Jill... Definitely a winner... beautiful painting!

Teresa said...

Congratulations!

They picked a worthy painting.

Galina Nikolova said...

Jill, wonderful news! Congratulations! You are wonderful artist and you sure deserve this first prize.
Beautiful painting!
Kind regards

loriann said...

Congratulations Jill! What a wonderful accomplishment.... you certainly deserve it.

Mike said...

Hats off to you, Jill, for your first place award. It's a terrific feeling . . .I love the 'prom queen' metaphor!

A very wise sage once said to me, "You will become an artist when you declare it to be so." After much thought, I realized he was absolutely correct.

Like you, plein air painting is what I consider 'the best' juice of being an artist. Keep up the great work. The journey is very sweet!

susan hong-sammons said...

Congratulations and well done!!! It's such a dramatic and thought-provoking painting.

How true, regarding the little girls question about being a professional. I just assumed we are. Am I in my own bubble???

Sandra Galda said...

congrads!

Jill Berry said...

WOW!
I sure ~feel the love~
from ALL THESE
wonderful comments!
Knowing that you great folks are out there- does a heart good.
Thanks again for all the hat-tipping, applause, and notes of kindness.
Guess I'll have to close the curtain...
and get ready for my next show.
(No prize$ at this one. But it will be my third year showing with my group - The Plein Air Painters of Pensacola.

kathrin said...

hi Jill, i m happy to found your wonderful blog, like it very much !!! Kathrin aus Bremen Germany

Luzia said...

Congratulations from Germany! I´m so impressed about your paintings!
Kind regards, Luzia.