Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Perfect Day

Suit up. I'm taking you to the beach. Why are we not working today? On the morning of our Annual Show we never paint. We have a while to enjoy the waves, soak up some rays, get highlights the old way. The water is so clear... and warm. You picked a perfect day to visit! I've been wanting to show you around. This is Gulf Islands National Seashore, a U.S. Park. I can see my studio from here, on that distant shore, and there's the Big Lagoon State Park tower, where I did the paintings in my first two posts. [click pics for binoculars] This is the bridge that we painted under in the last post. We are crossing the Intercoastal Waterway, looking toward Grand Lagoon. On the horizon is the narrow strip of sand and the Gulf where we swam. You can see, there is nothing to stop the impact of a hurricane like Ivan from claiming all that it did here. Since my first post, nearly a year ago, I've talked about weekly excursions with the group...

So now, without paint on any one's face, I present to you... The Plein Air Painters of Pensacola. It occurred to me recently that we are a bit like the Gilligan's Island crew, in that we are from varied walks of life and persuasions but this one common interest unites us outdoors in regular episodes. We do have a Professor, but that's as far as I got with the casting. (He's the one trying to live down all the higher education by wearing a beard & his red shirt untucked) One morning at breakfast, after a little round-table inquiry, I found out that Betty (far right) illustrated children's books and cartoons. We have more educators and school administrators than anything else. The 3 that are closest to my age are still worker-bees, 2 are art teachers, so they don't get to paint most Fridays. The pretty lady in the pink (right) is my good friend Vada, she rides with me & never ceases to motivate me. [When I think of myself at age 85, I'm not sure I'll be up for all this. Just make sure someone sends canvas over to the house for me, please.] Nina (dark hair, front & center) is an experienced fine artist, has had her own gallery, and started our informal group by asking another to go out painting . (Nina and Rhoda's kids married.) I'm pictured below with Rhoda. The group owes a great debt of gratitude to Rhoda (& Kay) for not only being our liaison to the art community but for keeping communication ties within the group. That's basically what holds the group together, a weekly e-mail of where to meet for breakfast and directions to the painting location. To Rhoda... ~and the rest~ you'll never know how the crew has kept me afloat... "So join us here each week my friend, you're sure to get a smile...".

13 comments:

kathrin said...

it s great !!! liebe Grüße von Kathrin http://artbykalo.blogspot.com/

Luzia said...

A perfect day, is a day you can share your profession with friends.
I think you have done this today. I met a friend today to paint in my little gallery. Afterwards I have done my work in our garden. A perfect day for me. Greetings from Germany (an sorry for my awfull English). Luzia

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Thanks for a lovely visit. Why was no one in the water? I didn't know the gulf was so clear. Assumptions....

Jill Berry said...

Thanks girls...

Kathrin- Thanks for adding me to your blog-list. Now I feel like I'm visiting over there, if only via my translation button.

Luzia- Thanks for sharing your day. I understand every word. I wonder how my American slang translates in other languages. Does it make sense??? If not, art and pictures are a universal language. That is a great picture of Kathrin on her blog. I assume you are the Luzia that took it. Wonderful moody artist-friend shot!

Dale, The Gulf has it's moods. The time before... the surf was up enough to ride the waves into shore. Actually, had I noticed the colored flag at the park entrance, I would have realized that I was swimming at my own risk. It was worth it. The surfers thought so too.
The vacationers all went back north for the winter. It's my own little slice of paradise, so don't tell anyone it's down here, ok. One or two couples did walk by while I was out past the waves. If you are assuming sharks... no I haven't seen any such things out there. Dolphins- yes.

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

Thanks for taking us to the beach and introducing us to your plein air group...what fun you must all have together!

Victor Errington said...

Thank you Jill for more great pic`s
and info`. Wonderful. I wish we had a get together like you do.
All the best.
Vic.

Nancy Medina said...

Wow! such great images Jill. I am packing my picnic basket and getting towels for the pugs. I'll be ready to lounge on the sand very soon!

Chuck Dilmore said...

sweet perfection!
thanks for showing us around, Jill!

Márcio Kindermann said...

Gostei de estar aqui!

James Parker said...

Hi, Jill....stopped by from Dana Cooper's and have been browsing your past blogs and some very enchanting artwork...excellent. And thanks for the day at the beach...now to get the sand out of my laptop.

Marian Fortunati said...

Fabulous post!!
I know how wonderful it is to have a group of people with whom you share something special!!
What fun... Thank you for sharing your perfect day!!

susan hong-sammons said...

Thank you for taking me to the beach. I miss the sounds, smells, feeling of the ocean and sand and dunes and everything. Presently, I am mentally getting ready for another Chicago winter. Thanks Jill

www.rumneyexclusive.com said...

lovely delicate artwork, great work!!

Pete
Rumney Exclusive canvas art