Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Southern Charm

Welcome to the Deep South, where our architecture is confident and casual enough to dress in bright colors.You already know I have a thing for crepe myrtles, so this mix of natural and man-made delicacies in downtown Pensacola was simply irresistible. I don't really like doing paintings of architecture. I'm tempted to straighten out some of her curves. But decided she should look a little worn and wacky after all these years in this heat. Did you know Pensacola is 450 years old? It's the "oldest European settlement in mainland America". I know- what about St. Augustine? I'm sure ~our~ settlers would have "continuously occupied" too, if not for the hurricanes. Probably they didn't have the Weather Channel.
I had to zoom in on this detail to see if my brushes inserted a dog in there. I think it is~ a lady walking her dog.
Nostalgia warning! This talk of graceful architecture, transports me back to N. Carolina, where moving day meant closing the door on my modern-built Victorian style home, after selecting it's every detail. Back then "painting outside" meant - this porch... the front door, the swing, the posts, me standing on that railing to reach the gingerbread trim.
This sleepy winter shot was taken before I dressed her up. I didn't say that using architecture as a canvas wasn't fun. I painted a design for the half-round, and the fish scale shingles in the eaves were rows of subtle blue and green variations. She got so much prettier with make-up on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Yeah, I miss "Boo" dog too!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Masterpiece house- sold.
"Southern Charm" painting - available
12x16 Oil, on gallery wrap canvas- no frame required.

14 comments:

Maree said...

Beautiful painting Jill, and lovely, inspirational photo.

Galina Nikolova said...

Hello, Jane,
Beautiful picture! Lovely colors and wonderful texture!
Kindest regards,
Galya

Gary Keimig said...

some tough subject matter but well done. Good job Jill.

Teresa said...

Southern Charm really is full of.... well... Southern charm! Beautiful painting. Thank you for posting a photo of the original scene alongside your painting. I have such a difficult time simplifying complex scenes and it's always interesting to see not just what the painter puts in, but what they leave out.

Chuck Dilmore said...

beautiful work, Jill!

i also love your old place, pup.

something tells me
you create beauty
no matter the locale.

Nancy Medina said...

Lovely Jill!

Karen said...

I love seeing those close-ups to see all that crazy paint! love it. Why do you use that color tone on the canvas? Do you change it or usually use that one?
Cute dog too. :)

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

This is lovely with thick paint and beautiful color...thanks too for the history lesson!

Karen Bruson said...

Jill, Another beautiful painting. Again, better than the photo.

Pam Holnback said...

Wow, you have really captured this street. Architecture is a challenge for me, consequently I tend to avoid it. This is great! And I appreciate the close-ups.

Jill Berry said...

Wow- all these
"beautiful"
"lovely"
"inspirational"
"wonderful"
"good"
"charming"
"interesting"
"creative"
"cute"
and
"great"
comments !!!
Thanks everyone for reading and responding.

I am enjoying another summer wave of company here in Florida.

Karen- the thinking behind using an orangy, red or pinkish tone is- being the compliment of all the greens & blues in the landscape, it can add vibration, if left peeking through. I vary the shade, but usually do tone the canvas warm, as I prep the night before I go out. Piling on layers of paint probably defeats the purpose. I'm still experimenting over here.

Cynthia said...

Jill, what a magical atmosphere you create with this post. I love the painting technique you are using...the impressionistic hints of people, puppies and color-enhanced light are compellingly captivating!

How your heart must have broken when you sold that dream-realized home! Or am I just projecting my feelings? It is THE home vision for many women... the wrap around porch and twinkle lights weave a spell around my imagination. When I lived in Coronado, Calfornia, I would walk by a restored Victorian home and imagine what it would be like to live there.

I loved the cutout wood detail
-especially when highlighted by a carefully planned paint color scheme.

I would tell myself that the old wood and other aging problems would be difficult to contend with so I didn't want it too much.-but you had a modern version---solution to the problem!

Btw Puerto Rico has the oldest 'something' too...I thought is was settlement within the US territories...you wrote mainland, I think. My recent post have shown El Morro...a fort/wall/building structure that's about 500 years old. It was settled by the Spanish.
I also posted some Taino (Indian) rocks that must also be quite old.
I love the trees too...I wonder if they grow in PR?

Jill Berry said...

Cynthia,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts~ so sweet of you.
Yes, leaving a home-place can be heart-wrenching especially when it has so much of you in the building and creating process. After a few times now, I have come to realize that I can be content in whatever state I find myself.
Enjoyed your Audrey Hepburn inspired post- "appreciating what's around you". That's what all us artist minds have in common.
Keep enjoying life in PR...
I bet these trees would grow there, they can not grow in freezing temps.

Cindy said...

This is so beautiful and the lighthouse in the post below is gorgeous. Amazing work!!