Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Got Water?


"Pensacola Lighthouse" 12x16, Oil. SOLD 
This lighthouse, built in 1823, is located at the Naval Air Station. It's only about 5 minutes away, by land or by sea. Perhaps it hasn't attracted my interest because, when I lived on the Outer Banks of North Carolina for 10 years, lighthouses were the iconic symbol of our area- from Corolla to Hatteras- on mugs, on tees... I hesitated to paint a subject that, at least in my mind, was overdone and cliche'. In April our group painted here and I resisted the great temptation to turn around and paint the water. Since I couldn't get water in my view, I attempted to use the fluidity of the sky and the filigree-like treetops to offset the static structure.
Another commonality of these two areas is aviation- the Blue Angels practice flying formations over my house often. There is a very nice Aviation Museum here on the base. And of course Kill Devil Hills / Kitty Hawk, NC was were flight began. Enough factoids, I better stick to art.
Thanks for stopping by.....



14 comments:

Nancy Medina said...

Stunning Jill! you certainly succeeded in bringing all that gorgeous movement into your sky, and the lighthouse is perfect.

Gwen Bell said...

Great cropping and composition! Love that dark blue/gray next to the clear colors in the sky. And the trees are great!

Don Bishop said...

Hi Jill,
Nice painting. I love the photo of the baech path with you painting off in the distance. Very cool.

I updated my blog, no longer hiding under my pen name.

Cheers, Don B : ) Formally SJ Studio

Maree said...

Lovely painting Jill. You certainly captured the sky nicely. Nice piece to add to your portfolio.

Chuck Dilmore said...

very beautiful, Jill!

yes... the movement of the sky!
it's so evident when zoomed in.
just lovely!

peace~
Chuck

susan hong-sammons said...

Hi Jill, Love your composition and design choices. It send you sour high but not out of the painting. The sky is so juicy good but not over powering the central interest. Can't wait to see what you post next!!

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Jill, I love the composition, it's different. Colors are great, and I especially like your brushwork. Plein air painting is wonderful.

Teresa said...

Hi Jill,

Just found your blog...and Wow!... what gorgeous paintings you do. I look forward to visiting again.

Janelle Goodwin said...

I'm so glad you decided to paint the lighthouse after all. Being from Chicago, I've always been fascinated with lighthouses and you captured this one beautifully!

Cynthia said...

Oh Jill, how can you say that this is an overdone subject when you have created such an appealing work? I love it! <3

Karen said...

love the factoids.
And the Blue Angels! We run down to the lake reont each August to watch them in the Air and Water show, but I almost love their practice day before even more, when they surprise the city with their presence.

I think you were right on with your thoughts about how to off-set the structure of the tower, the 'fluidity of the sky', what a beautiful way to put that.

Karen Bruson said...

Jill, Really nice painting. Again, it is so much more interesting than the photo.

Painters Billerica MA said...

Beautiful pictures!

<3 Lindsay

Jill Berry said...

Thanks to all my blogger friends.
I SO look forward to your input!

Welcome!~ to the new commenters.

ps - good eye Don, but I am behind the camera on that shot toward the water.