Friday, July 24, 2009

Say It Till You Mean It



This painting bears the scars of our love/hate relationship that started last summer, Crepe Myrtle season here in the South. Sometimes late at night I'll pick it up again. But I'm finally done trying to change it. I'm setting it free. [click painting for details]

In the location shot you can see how sparse the blooms were. After I added steroids to my paint it transformed into this one I saw at the Cracker Barrel.
Notice the various looks it went through in the slide-show below. There was the spotty leopard phase, the too dark for summer attire, then it was goin' green.

The following quote I found on the blog "My French Easel". I share Matisse's feeling on reworking your work until it is you.
"I want to get to this stage of condensation of sensations that make the painting. I could content myself with the first attempt at a work, but I would get tired of it immediately, and I prefer to rework it so that later on I recognize it as a representation of my mind." - Henri Matisse (in “Note d’un peintre” – Ecrits et propos sur l’art – Hermann, 1972)
Crepe Myrtle ~ 11x14 ~ Oil  [Sold]

13 comments:

Cesc Ginesta said...

These last four pictures that I see are extraordinary. EXTRAORDINARY.
I hope no one discuss ....

My most sincere congratulations to the author!

Cesc

Gwen Bell said...

I think it's gorgeous! I always open up to the larger image because your thick strokes are just so so beautiful and you've done it again in this piece. In the few months I've been following you, I've seen your work grow stronger and stronger. You are awesome, my dear!

Thanks for the quote...very apropos and something for all artists to keep in mind.

SJ Studio said...

Very nice Jill, that thick paint is soooo nice!

susan hong-sammons said...

I love that, "representation of my mind," quote. You so got it when you continued to readdress this painting. Love the results.

Chuck Dilmore said...

great post, Jill...
. the work
. the quote
. the 2 sources that you tapped (love that one was Cracker Barrel!)

i think you should just love it!
we do!

Galina Nikolova said...

Beautiful painting, Jill.
Wonderful fresh colors and lovely mood.
Kind regards

Karen said...

Jill you are so funny. I love the slide-show of versions! It deserves to be fee!! I think it's steroid-induced version is the best. luscious paint.

I also laughed because I pictured you standing outside of Cracker Barrel plein air painting. ha!

Gary Keimig said...

It all is just great.
Love those juicy paint applications sand the color in this.

Sonia said...

Interesting how all your work reflects beauty and peace to me! You must be a very loving person to be able to create such special art!

Jill Berry said...

YOU-ALL are so Kind!
How cool that I can show you my little piece of the South, and it draws interest from all over.

I have a house full of family visiting for another week, then I will be back on my blog-jet to see my FINE~art friends. I am looking forward to the trip- way up North, way out West... to Spain, & Bulgaria...
I guess this inter-web thing is not all bad. (I would have been chosen the least likely in my family to have a website or blog)
See ya soon....

Nancy Medina said...

Jill, you have achieved crepe myrtle nirvana. Certainly one of the best paintings of crepe myrtles I have ever loved. All of the work and effort and focus paid off, but I have never seen anything you have painted I did not wish were hanging in my home.
bravo!!!!

Karen Bruson said...

Wow! Your painting looks so much better than the photo. Nice job.

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Amazing work Jill, what I like the most, you don't copy nature, you improve it.