Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Did You Want To Show Me Something?

This is a ~Tale of Two Paintings~ both done from the same location one year apart. The pattern formed by this tree is what I wanted to show you, especially the negative-space shapes underneath it, that were only visible by setting down.
In trying to title this, I realized - including the sold ones and the in-progress ones, I could have a "Tree by the Waterside" series. For sure if I were a tree, I would plant myself by the shore. "In my own little corner, in my own little chair ~ I can be whatever I want to be." [Cinderella]
As you can see from the progressions, the headline throughout was the wily cypress [wily - full of stratagems, mischievously artful, using craft to accomplish a purpose]. The one I'm working on here, never developed a clear purpose. It had land, sky and sea, but in nearly equal parts. It's been in rehab for so long that it has lost the will to live. So I'll just show it in it's glory days - on the cover of the "Pelican", a touristy newspaper that's a cut above the "Mullet Wrapper". I do feel bad for it, losing it's way. Too much, too soon, I guess.
"Cypress" 11x14 Oil

11 comments:

Nancy and the fatties said...

Hey Jill - you never mentioned you were a covergirl before! : ) The negative space in the tree is striking, you've captured it perfectly.
hugs...

Jill Berry said...

Nancy, Thanks...
Well, I'n not ~just~ out there blogging for comments. Though they do make it fun ~ huh?
Thks for the Twitter shout-out!

Karen said...

Dear Celebrity Friend, Should I quote the Virgina Slims slogan for you?
I say paint over the first...you don't need it anymore!
Isn't that a fantastic feeling?!

Jill Berry said...

Thanks for the "Progress Report", Karen.
Hopefully some things are sinking in through the years of being a student. If I weren't learning SO much on here, I would surely shut this machine off. Bye for now, "Best of Show"...

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Hi Jill, you look great on the cover. I love the way you painted the tree, great brush work. You make plein air look so easy. Thank you for sharing the progression of the painting.

Gwen Bell said...

Cracked up at "lost the will to live".
Thanks for showing the progression of this beautiful painting. You did such a wonderful job of bringing the tree to life on canvas. It has such an interesting, complex structure and you captured it beautifully!

Jill Berry said...

Thanks Joan,
The look of ease must come from fanciful editing. There's not much easy about it, huh? It's a challenge! Pack your studio, find the place to relocate, find a worthy view, & think on your feet a whole lot before the light changes...

SJ Studio said...

That is an interesting spot with all those trees. I have a big ol' stack of lost paintings and they are good to paint over. Many times I just go right over the old painting and let small bits of the past peak through. You can get some nice surprises doing that. Please keep posting the progression shots, those are great.

Those small trees you did are nice, great shapes to them.

Pam Holnback said...

I enjoy seeing your set-ups and progression. Great sky holes in the tree.

Jill Berry said...

Thanks Gwen, Don, & Pam,
I appreciate your feedback.

On a joint-blog of plein air artists, I got a comment that my blog is Interactive! I like that...and it's thanks to ALL of ya'll.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I decided to throw all paintings which have lost the will to live, in the burn pile.
Sometime this fall, my painter girlfriends will have a party with a big bonfire and exorcise the demons.
NO, don't paint over anything. What if you got a really great painting and the old demon was ghosting through, as it usually will?
Keep up the good work, Jill.