Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Award, Alla-prima, and Applause

When I set my sites on learning to paint, I signed up for the "Loose Women" oil painting class an hour from here, in Fairhope Alabama. One day I took my little Ivy-start to class and did this painting alla-prima. As I put my palette knife down and stepped back, someone in the small group of fellow artists started a round of applause for my little accomplishment. I kept this one. It hangs as a reminder of the power of a little friendly encouragement. (Click painting for details)My blogger friend and artist comrade Gwen Bell has selected us over here at the Plein Air Painting Journal for this Award. It spotlights our exemplary achievement in the areas of not only ART INSPIRATION, but also in Friendship, Sharing, Caring, and Sisterhood. I say "us" because without your input, this wouldn't be the interactive friendly blog that it is. So Thanks to all of You! And a special thanks to these great Artist/Blogger/ Encouragers... who Inspire me.
Karen Phipps ~ aka: best-of-show, is always out there for me with sisterly advice
Nancy Medina ~ the queen of encouragement and master of all things floral.
Galina Nikolova ~ for her gutsy and heartfelt expressions made on canvas.
Kathleen Harrington ~ who is quick to pass on info like the new community - Plein Air Artists
Lori McNee ~ an Artist/Blogger that shares inspiring art quotes on Twitter.
Joan Sicignano ~ enthusiastic new plein-air artist/blogger, and kind commenter

14 comments:

Galina Nikolova said...

Thank you, Jill.
Kind regards

Nancy Medina said...

Thank you Jill! Can you hear me clapping too? That is a gorgeous, loose, lovely work of art. I don't blame you for keeping it. Thank you so much for the Award. I learn so much from you!
xxooo

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Jill, thank you for the award, it is appreciated. You are an inspiration.

Have a great day
Joan

Karen said...

I'm flattered, truly, if you could see me right now (which I'm glad you can't because I just finished cleaning my house, ugh), you might see a little mistiness in my eyes because I too feel uplifted and encouraged and challenged by our community. Thanks to you too!!

Judy Mackey said...

Love the palette knife work - painting is beautiful!
Judy

Kathleen Harrington Paints said...

Jill,
I cant thik of a person who deserves the award more than you do! Congratulations. And thank you for the kind mention.
Your post today of the beautiful ivy was the perfect choice - a little encouragement and kindness goes a long way.
Kathleen

Janelle Goodwin said...

I'm clapping for you and all the women artists you named in your post! What a wonderful concept - a sisterhood of artists! Congratulations!

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

A well deserved award! You're generous with comments and yes, a little goes a long way. That painting is wonderful.

Chuck Dilmore said...

i was totally going Ooo, la-la...
THEN i clicked to see your painting's detail.
wow - that is just incredible!

adding my applause!

peace~

Cindy said...

Beautiful paintings. You're very talented. Thanks for sharing them with us. ~Cindy

susan hong-sammons said...

Hi Jill, love the lush rich strokes of color and shapes. Makes me want to head back to my studio right now!

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

This painting is so wonderful...I'm sure the ovation was standing! I love the name 'loose women' too!!

Gwen Bell said...

Oh my goodness. This is yummy. I can see why it brought applause. I let out an audible oooooooh when viewing the larger image. Fantastic thick strokes. Love the name of the painting group!

Teresa said...

LOVE this painting! Such freshness and yummy color. Great job.