Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Time of Day

I found a fascinating place to paint in Galveston - out on the jetties. This one takes a bit of rock climbing since it is washed out along the shore. But it gets me out there, up close and personal with the breaking waves.
I'm still partial to my home shore, it's no Florida here. But in the late afternoon, the typically muddy water soaks up the afternoon sky and takes on a blue tone. I began with green-gold and transparent orange as a basis for the water's warm tone. The color scheme was transformed in the scope of an hour and a half. I realized I preferred the darker and bluer water so I went with the flow and altered mine with indigo and perhaps a touch of Prussian blue. Notice in the following photos the difference in the color of the water. The first one was taken at 5:20. In the second one, taken at 3:48, there is only a ribbon of blue on the horizon.
Late Afternoon @ the Jetty, 9x12 Oil on canvas, available
Some guys doing a PBS documentary on Galveston ask to tape me at work! So we'll see if I make the cut...
Also, I decided to exercise my right to Twitter. So look me up if you do the same. I'll have mini-updates between blog posts.
Thank You to all who follow my blog. I appreciate you and your comments.

11 comments:

Gary Keimig said...

It is looking great Jill. Love that cloud work.
Good luck on the PBS. I hope they stayed around awhile with you to get the flow of things to justify what you are doing.

Anonymous said...

Jill,
I checked out your blog - It's great! I'm impressed with your whole site. I LOVE the "Spring Break" painting!!!!!!!!!!!!! When are you coming back from TX? I think you and Sally and I need to go paint together!!
Janie

Sonia said...

Beautiful!! Jill, I have to tell you that I also admire your style handling the brushes! So elegant and gentle! :) Great pictures too!

Joan Sicignano Artist said...

Great work Jill. I wish the rain would stop, can't wait to get out and paint plein air.

Charity Joy Bell Childs said...

I have arrived here from Patrick's blog. :)

Wow! I love your blog, too! An artist! I will have to follow you! :)

Blessings!

-C

Gwen Bell said...

This is so beautiful and serene. Very nice!

Congratulations on being discovered, Lana Turner! Be sure and let us know when you find out about air time.

I'll give you a Tweet. :)

Chuck Dilmore said...

wow, Jill!
beautiful work and
congratulations on PBS! how poetic!

peace~
C

Karen said...

I absolutely love that dark dark blue at the horizon. It's perfect here.

ugh, twitter, another online thing!
one of these days...

Joanne said...

What a great spot to paint in! Looks like there was sun to warm you, wind to cool you, and fame waiting to claim you!!! Lovely colors in this painting, and I like how the breakers are rolling in. :-)

Jill Berry said...

THANKS to ALL.

Thanks Gwen. You must still be watching those old movies. I've heard of Lana Turner, but had to look her up to make sure I wasn't just looking old-fashioned.

I knew I shouldn't have worn my short-shorts in public...I think fate is getting me back for the time in Jr. High when I didn't listen to my Mom who forbade me to wear my new white hotpants with the leather belt to school. That's the day the News Journal came to take pictures of the winners of the egg decorating contest with a Kentucky History theme. Mine was a beautiful red Cardinal with real feathers!

Nancy and the fatties said...

Hi Jill! oh cool - I am following you on twitter - love the single palm painting. Maybe we will see it on PBS... Enjoy Galveston but watch out for those darn jellyfish. : )