Friday, May 15, 2009

Plein Air PAINT-OUT !

Wow, what an artistically stimulating week this has been. I attended my first Paint-Out! [ Florida's Forgotten Coast - the great Plein Air Paint-out ]. I had monitored it last year on-line. (At http://www.pleinairfl.com/ you can see the work that is brought in daily to the "wetroom". Click on "the art" then choose an artist, then click search.) This event is 3 1/2 hours east of here, in Port St. Joe, Apalachicola, Mexico Beach... Artist Demos are stretched out along the coast and through out the event lasting May 7-17.
I got real brave and signed up for the "Quick Draw"! In case you are not familiar with such -They stamp the back of your canvas to make sure you have not previously worked on it. The artists all get set up in the designated area. They sound a horn, and you have two hours to complete your piece before the horn sounds again. Then you take your painting and easel for display, over to the tent for judging, and then they are for sale. Yeah, It's basically taking painting and turning it into a spectator sport with a good dose of competition and the urgency of a speed drill ! But it was a lot of fun ! And you can imagine my exhilaration when folks were asking for the number stamped on the back so they could purchase it.
My new collectors don't appear to be sticklers for straightness, thank goodness! And they like their art fresh off the easel, so we'll just call it spontaneous and not overworked. It says just enough to read - street scene. So like in a huge and public Pictionary game, I guess I managed to get my point across just before the time ran out. (Thanks again - to the Machemers from Port St. Joe.)I heard a comment about "artists painting artists". Then when it was time to lay down the brushes, take a deep breath, and gulp down the 2-hour old chai tea from the "No Name Bookstore and Cafe", I realized I was included in a wonderful young artist's painting. If you want to check out more of his work, this link will take you there -http://www.jrichardsstudio.com/ James Richards, Athens, GA.
He also sold his painting.

7 comments:

nancy elstad said...

Jill, your a very talented artist! I so love the way you captured the wonderful colors and detail without being detailed! I know I would have tried defining the underside of that awning. I wish I could be looser. Beautiful.

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Thanks for the wonderful descriptions of the Paint-Out and events. Quick draw sounds like fun. Your painting is so appealing in its color and composition. And I love the one with you in it. I'll check out that blog.

steve strode said...

Hi Jill, thanks for stopping by. RE: the white being so white. Apperently if you want to enhance a particular colour surround it with greyed colours that are only slightly darker in value, not my idea ...J M W Turners. All the best, Steve.

SJ Studio said...

Hi Jill,
I am glad you enjoyed doing the quickdraw, the painting came out great. I have always been afraid to go down that path though. I get nervous even when I am painting outside and people come by without it being a quickdraw event.

Even cooler thing is you sold the painting. Well done!

Karen said...

Jill how exciting! I'll be trying my first plein air event soon, so I loved to read this! Beautiful piece you got in 2 hours. Congrats on its sale.

Gwen Bell said...

You are so brave! I haven't ventured into Plein Air yet, but visiting your blog is very encouraging. You do such lovely work! Congratulations on the sell~

Genia Bohanon Conyers said...

This would have been hard for me because I always take too long to finish all my projects. You must get your story telling from your mom. Looks like fun.