Monday, May 4, 2009

An Artist's Terrain

( Update -"White Sand" will be in Pensacola's Premier Juried Art Show- First City - at Quayside Art Gallery, Opening May 8th !! )
( 2nd Update - It has a red SOLD sticker now ! )
My corner of the world here is known to have the whitest sand. So when trying to title this I finally just decided on "White Sand" because it was the shape of that light patch that intrigued me most. While painting along the shore particularly, I try not to end up with too many horizontal rectangles for my sky, water and land. So that's our challenge around here - breaking up the large areas of open sky and water. Yea, it's a tough job but I'm happy to keep working at it. "This Episode Was Originally Aired" on February 19th --- thus the sweatshirt.
You can spot three other easels from our group in this photo; I realize I don't own the territory artistically speaking. That said, enjoy this idea quoted from Daniel Grant's book [On Becoming an Artist] in Chapter 1 - Sources of Inspiration:
"Artist's, like regional dialects tend to be associated with certain places. In time, these locations are thought of in terms of the artists who painted there, as with Monet and Giverny, Van Gogh and Arles, Gauguin and Tahiti ... The 19th century's love affair with the landscape made artists ... possessive of the terrain on which they could tell their story. This sense of artistic territory spread throughout the world hand in hand with the concepts of Impressionist painting."
"White Sand", 12x16 Oil on canvas, SOLD
Click on the Painting to check out the texture.

8 comments:

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Great post. The painting is beautiful. I love the way you handled the palm fronds. And your application of paint is very generous. All things I have struggled with. The most shocking, of course, is your deletion of the storage tanks. Haha! A slave to reality, I probably wouldn't have painted that view because of the tanks! Your blog helps me a lot, so thanks. :)

bondearte said...

I like the beautiful landscape.
I liked the detail of the tree and its dense texture.

Congratulation

SJ Studio said...

This one looks great too! I love all that texture you have going on. So it looks like a lot of knife work right? I am going to have to get my knife out next time I paint outside and see what happens.

Do you ever use wax medium with your paint? I have played with it a bit and really like it. You get a super thick mix that can really hold some heavy texture and it dries down to an almost encaustic look.

Very nice painting Jill. Good color too.

r garriott said...

Your painting is so inviting! Hope I can see that part of the country some day.

Jill Berry said...

Dale - Thanks for your encouraging comments.

Bondearte - Thanks for checking out my work. I appreciate it.
I see you are from Brazil. Notice I have a Google Translation Button if you want to read this blog in your language. Also at the very bottom of my post is a Yahoo Babel Fish button that does 35 languages.
I will be checking out your work as well.

SJ - Concerning the texture, yea it is a lot of knife work. But since I painted over-top of an unsuccessful attempt without trying to get rid of it's texture, it now has texture x2.
No, I have not used any wax medium but it sounds fun.
Thanks for your comments. I just had mentioned on another blog that I was inspired to use the brush more after seeing this brushwork. Check out today's post of http://karenbruson.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Jill, I'm so happy to have you write about not ending up with too many horizontals...I've been thinking of this lately, and trying not to do it! And it's great to see how (and how well) you've done it here.

Karen Bruson said...

Jill, Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. This painting is great! You did such a good job eliminating the unnecessary. Great values and colors. The beach looks so inviting to someone residing in NH!

Pam Holnback said...

This piece is beautiful.. I love how you show what you're painting. It inspires me so!