Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"Prime Property"

"Every picture shows a spot with which the artist has fallen in love" [Sisley]. Earlier in March our group painted at this perfect lot that is for sale in Gulf Breeze, FL. If I am near the water it will most certainly find a way into my composition. At this location, what I found most appealing were the red barrel-tile roofs. Just so happened that the canvas I brought was already toned a bright Chinese red. After a bit of compression, I managed to include a few more of my favorite things - camellias, palms and Spanish moss. Since a 16x20 canvas is larger than most plein-air work, I give myself the freedom to make improvements after I get home and see what it needs. After adjusting the roof pitch, softening the foilage by the roof, and lightening the sky, I tried out a new glazing medium to alter the intensity of the bay which was fighting the roof for attention. As I complete it I work at keeping the original integrity of the painting intact. Always trying to keep Pissarro's advice to a young painter in mind - "It is useless to tighten a form which can do without it"

9 comments:

nancy elstad said...

Hi Jill, I just added your blog to my list of favs! I love your work and really like the photo you include. I am just starting my plein air journey. It really helped me to see your photo and see what you left out or included in your painting! Lovely work...
Do you always tone your canvas?

Jill Berry said...

Nancy, Thank you for your encouragement.
Yes, I take a toned canvas out with me, usually a shade of orange since that compliments all the green and blue in my landscapes.
I enjoyed seeing your last post. I have done a bit of mural painting and faux finishing too. In my current living room I did a Venetian plaster finish. Your work is exquisite!

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Jill, Your painting is vibrant and beautiful. I never thought of toning a canvas in a bright color like you have. I love it!

nancy elstad said...

Hi Jill,
Oh my venetian plaster is a killer! You can't charge enough for all that burnishing and trowling! As bad as painting designs on ceilings. I bet it's nice tho.

Kim VanDerhoek said...

Hi Jill. It's fun to see the actual scene. You did a great job painting this view, I think your painting looks better than the actual scene. And that red underpainting is so exciting, I'll have to try that sometime!

Celeste Bergin said...

Hi Jill..what a nice painting! I don't know how you learned about my British sportscar..was it Facebook? Well, there is something else that you and I have in common..I am from Florida. I was born in St. Petersburg and I also lived there as a young adult. I love Florida..I am quite certain that you do too, judging from these good paintings!

Jill Berry said...

Celeste - I'm glad to know you have ties to the sunshine state!
I mentioned my TR6 Triumph when I saw your blogger profile where you listed the Spitfire as one of your interests. If you click on that you will find that you are in a group of 7 like-minded bloggers.

Thanks to all for your kind notes.

LSaeta said...

Really nice painting. I love the texture on the roof!

Laurel Daniel said...

Oh yes, this is a place that you fell in love with - it shows! I would like to live there I think!