Monday, March 9, 2009

Atmospheric Mood / "Let It Rain"



No doubt you have heard the advice: don't paint things but paint the light and atmosphere surrounding the things. I have included two photos of pansies on my deck. Both photos were taken in March, in fact one day apart. I post them both to compare a sunny day feel with the one I choose to paint - rainy day through the glass door. The bottom right is a detail. Notice the variation from thick palette knife to very thin with the pink toned canvas showing.
This painting "Let It Rain" (11x14 Oil) is available.
Also, I have one 11x14 matted, digital print. Price:$40.
You may contact me at my website by ckicking on my easel on the top right corner of this blog.

11 comments:

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Hi Jill,
Love it. The color play is wonderful. You absolutely succeeded in capturing the mood.

LSaeta said...

You nailed this one. Great color and your "atmosphere" is wonderful. Really nice!

Karen said...

The thin vs. thick paint is wonderful...it gives such life and volume to these. Great atmosphere!

Kim VanDerhoek said...

Oooo, this is very good! You captured the rain beautifully. This borders on the abstract, which I really like. Absolutely lovely!

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Jill, I love the thick impasto paint of the flowers coming out of the mist. Wonderful painting!

Loriann Signori said...

What a beautiful feel of wet. I love your use of lost and found edges... nice.

Jill Berry said...

Thank you ladies. I very much enjoy your comments. This blogging thing is becoming a real source of encouragement because of you.

"JeanneG" said...

I really like that you put a photo of what you were seeing next to your artwork. Makes it so nice like we are there looking at the same scene with you. Nice work.

B Boylan said...

Hi Jill,
I'm really liking the wetness of the first painting. It's so loose and wonderfully painted. I bet you had a lot of fun with this one in particular.

Celeste Bergin said...

very rainy. five stars!

r garriott said...

I love your take on these pansies! A rainy day is something we don't get much around here.