Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hemingway's Balcony



It was a cold dark night on Hemingway's balcony at Pensacola Beach when I painted my first plein-air nocturne. Having enjoyed some yummy barbecued shrimp and discussion of our fellow painters up North, we left our window-view and braved the elements. Of course being a Southerner and fearing that my heart would freeze if I got too cold, I had on four layers of toppings and a coat.
With my Indigo toned canvas, I set up to include the exceptionally good view of the moon visible on January 30th, and decided to focus in on the palms lit from below. It is a good thing I know where my colors are located on my palette because it was very dark and hard to see what shade I was painting with. I wondered what it was going to look like the next morning after this wild night out!
"Hemingway's Balcony" - Oil on 12x16 gallery wrap canvas, will be available for purchase when dry.

4 comments:

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Great freedom of color and placement. Funny how the painting has me thinking "hot", until I see what you're dressed in. :) Still, I'm not tempted to do a plein air nocturne tonight in VT. beautiful painting.

Karen said...

Wonderful! The textures! I am impressed-- I haven't yet gotten out there at night!

Jill Berry said...

Thanks for your comments. This is one of those paintings that I sometimes wonder if I got too "free" on.
Yea, since most of you are painting in the cold I wanted to post the rare, probably only time this winter I will paint in a coat in Florida.

Karen, Sorry I'm slow with my replies, I hope you noticed the comments to you on my previous post. I probably should have put them on your blog, since they were about your work. I'm still figuring out the blogosphere.

Chuck Dilmore said...

Dear Jill,
Okay... I love the feel of all your work, but this particular one touches me! Just beautiful!

It's also great to see you in action... gives me (a non-artist) a great perspective and appreciation!

Very nice work! Thank you for sharing with us!
peace,
Chuck