Friday, January 9, 2009

IMPROV Style

In this painting- "Misty Morning on Perdido Bay", I am starting to see how a direct painting approach is fostered by the plein air experience. It's you and a big scene that you are forced to distill into your statement. You are slapping around paint improv style, without the time to put every twig in place. This was my second time out with the group. I surprised myself, I really didn't think I had it in me to be this loose and Impressionistic. But I liked it's rawness so I framed and included it in an exhibit in Orange Beach, AL, where it sold. (You can click on the painting to see the brushwork up close.)
The location of the painting site is Lillian, AL. I'm pulling from the archives, this painting was done two years ago. When I took this first picture of my traveling easel, I had no idea I would be blogging it's every move.

No comments: