Tuesday, January 13, 2009

As Far as the Road Goes

This painting "As Far as the Road Goes" was painted after Hurricane Ivan washed out the road along the Gulf Coast which connected Pensacola Beach to Navarre. It is sold. But I post it as a good example of these lessons from my journal of quotable notes & things to remember that I jot down as I study art books. These are from "Keys to Successful Landscape Painting" by Foster Caddell.
"The patterns created by the drama of light on a subject are just as interesting as the subject itself ."
"Shadows are illuminated by the secondary source of light - the sky above, cool and blue."
"Superimpose high-keyed cool lights over warm for maximum vibration."
You can see that I like a full range of colors on my palette. (click to enlarge photo)
One more thing that was vital to the success of this painting was to break up the horizon with the vertical sea grass.

7 comments:

Loriann Signori said...

Hi Jill,
I love coming to your blog and seeing your warm landscapes. This beach scene is so inviting. I especially like the way you complimented the sand and sky. Nice work!
Loriann

Kathleen said...

Nice treatment of a beautiful site. Wish I was there!
Kathleen

Marian Fortunati said...

Love the thickness of the paint... Are you using a palette knife??

This is a wonderful website to visit.. I'll enjoy returning often.

Jill Berry said...

Thank you all for your encouraging words.
Yes I like to use a palette knife. It helps to keep my work loose. When I use only a brush, I'm not happy with the overly blended results.

José said...

Hi,

I like the chosen palette which contributes to a harmonious and unified work.
The dramatized shading/values of the sand improves on Nature; if Nature -dang Caps Lock key, had to press it three times- can be improved, that is.

Chuck Dilmore said...

Okay... and then I saw THIS one!
Also just fabulous!

Incredible Gallery!

peace,
Chuck

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

This photo evokes the feeling of freedom and the ability to enjoy God's beautiful world.