Friday, November 28, 2008

Composition

"Composition is just a way of taking the eye on a tour through a painting and pointing out things to notice along the way." [Working out a Painting, by Colleen Browning].
This painting: "Azaleas by the Bay" exhibits my excitement to be back out painting after the winter. I was satisfied with the composition but I had to adjust my values to make it work. The sky and water were bluer but for the sake of the painting I lightened them in order to keep the most saturated color on the azaleas, my central focus.
This Painting is available at http://www.jillberryartist.com/ .

3 comments:

Loriann Signori said...

Beautiful painting. I love that you posted a photo of the location as well as the painting. I can see how much editing and changing you did to make the painting work. The change of value and intensity of the water makes a good larger shape. Nice.

Jill Berry said...

Thanks for commenting on my work. Congrats on your Best of Show Award! I enjoy your blog. Do not envy the temps you work in! Question: How do you make your blog fill the width of the screen. Would I have to select a different template or can I adjust my layout?
I like the basic black background.
Thanks,
Jill

Loriann Signori said...

Hi Jill!
To cover the width of the screen choose one of the stretch templates. I think they come in white and black. Good luck....and yes I envy your temperatures!
Loriann